Thread: Record Arctic melting this summer, scientists agree, global warming unstoppable now

Record Arctic melting this summer, scientists agree, global warming unstoppable now

By Steve Connor, Science Editor
    Published: 16 September 2005

A record loss of sea ice in the Arctic this summer has convinced scientists that the northern hemisphere may have crossed a critical threshold beyond which the climate may never recover. Scientists fear that the Arctic has now entered an irreversible phase of warming which will accelerate the loss of the polar sea ice that has helped to keep the climate stable for thousands of years.

They believe global warming is melting Arctic ice so rapidly that the region is beginning to absorb more heat from the sun, causing the ice to melt still further and so reinforcing a vicious cycle of melting and heating.

The greatest fear is that the Arctic has reached a "tipping point" beyond which nothing can reverse the continual loss of sea ice and with it the massive land glaciers of Greenland, which will raise sea levels dramatically.

Satellites monitoring the Arctic have found that the extent of the sea ice this August has reached its lowest monthly point on record, dipping an unprecedented 18.2 per cent below the long-term average. FULL STORY

---------

This is a really long story, and a good read, if the topic interests you.

Do you think it's all for real and global warming is happening, or do you believe it's part of the earths cycle and our pollution has nothing to do with it?
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Personally, i do beleive it is a part of the earths lifecycle however, i also beleive that it has been accelerated by greenhouse gasses too.

Im also of the beleif based on various sources, that it is also to late to do anything about the greenhouse effect that is to say, short of stopping using most of the products that create emmissions that deplete the ozone overnight suddenly.

Regards,

Lee

Slade
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    Personally, i do beleive it is a part of the earths lifecycle however, i also beleive that it has been accelerated by greenhouse gasses too.

Im also of the beleif based on various sources, that it is also to late to do anything about the greenhouse effect that is to say, short of stopping using most of the products that create emmissions that deplete the ozone overnight suddenly.

Regards,

Lee

"I before E, except after C" grin
    And geez..what a friggin fatalist you is!
    We might as well party hardy as the end is in sight!