Thread: Hurricane Rita May Hit The Gulf As A Category 5 Hurricane

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

WTF? Hurricane Rita May Hit The Gulf As A Category 5 Hurricane

Sept. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Hurricane Rita strengthened en route to the Gulf of Mexico, heading on a path that may threaten the Texas coast and parts of Louisiana devastated by Katrina three weeks earlier.

Rita, a so-called Category 2 storm with 100 mph (166 kph) winds, is moving into the Gulf's warm waters, where it will strengthen in the next few days, the National Hurricane Center said. Rita may reach Category 4 or Category 5, with winds from 131 mph to more than 155 mph, by the time it reaches the Texas coastline this weekend, the center said.

While Rita is forecast to land anywhere from Corpus Christi to Galveston in Texas, it may veer east and strike Louisiana's coast, the center said. The threat to the region devastated by Katrina prompted New Orleans's mayor to halt plans for residents to return and Texas officials to call for some evacuations.

``We are urging all residents from south Texas to Louisiana to keep watch,'' center meteorologist Robbie Berg said.

Rita, the ninth hurricane of the season, was about 50 miles (80 kilometers) south-southwest of Key West, Florida, as of 5 p.m. local time, the center said. The storm is moving west at about 15 mph (24 kph).

Galveston Mayor Lyda Ann Thomas said she may order mandatory evacuations from the city of about 60,000 as soon as tomorrow. Galveston, about 50 miles southeast of Houston, is the site of the worst natural disaster in U.S. history, a hurricane that killed 8,000 to 12,000 in 1900.

Texas Prepares

Neighboring Brazoria County plans to begin mandatory evacuations at 6 p.m. tomorrow, said John Vanden Bos, assistant emergency management coordinator. School buses will carry residents who can't leave on their own.

A mandatory evacuation requires evacuees to travel only to predetermined locations and allows them exclusive use of highways. Those who flee during a voluntary evacuation can go anywhere, Vanden Bos said.

Evacuation of Corpus Christi, about 250 miles southwest of Galveston, ``is premature at this point,'' city spokesman Ted Nelson said in an interview. ``When it's about 72 hours out, if it looks like it's on a course that would threaten us, then we would start recommending that people evacuate from low-lying areas.''

Emergency management officials in Matagorda County, Texas, will meet at 4:30 p.m. local time today to decide when to open their emergency operations center and whether evacuations will be necessary, said Harriet Townsend, executive secretary to County Judge Greg Westmoreland, who leads the county's emergency management efforts. Rita is forecast to make landfall in or near the county, she said.

Evacuees to Move

Texas Governor Rick Perry recalled the Texas National Guard and other state emergency personnel from Louisiana yesterday in anticipation of Rita. Emergency forces will be redeployed by mid- week to areas near the Texas coast should current forecasts hold. Texas has 367 miles (591 kilometers) of coastline, according to the Texas Almanac.

The Texas National Guard and the U.S. Transportation Department were scheduled this afternoon to begin moving more than 7,000 Hurricane Katrina victims staying in coastal Texas communities to other states, Federal Emergency Management Agency spokesman David Passey said.

Four thousand evacuees staying in Houston will be evacuated to Fort Chaffee, Arkansas, and 3,000 staying in San Antonio will be moved to Tennessee. Texas state officials are requesting Nebraska begin accepting some evacuees from various Texas cities tomorrow, he said.

New Orleans

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin yesterday suspended plans to allow residents to return to their homes and businesses because of the risk posed by Rita. The Louisiana city, once home to a half a million people, was flooded after Katrina's storm surge overwhelmed the system of levees and pumps that held back the waters of Lake Pontchartrain and the Mississippi River.

The city's levees are weak and can't handle more than 9 inches or a 3-foot storm surge, Nagin said yesterday during a Briefing. Buses will be available to help remove residents who are in New Orleans, though most people in the city have a way out, Nagin said today on CNN.

Beginning tomorrow, southeastern Louisiana likely will have tides about 8 feet above normal near shore, and as much as 12 feet further out, according to a FEMA report.

``Even if the eye of Rita does not strike the Louisiana coast, it is likely that its affects could be felt from as far away as coastal southeast Louisiana,'' Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco said in a statement.

Oil Facilities

Katrina moved into the Gulf last month after passing over Florida, killing 11. The storm grew and its winds reached as high as 175 mph over open water before it slammed ashore in Louisiana's Plaquemines Parish with 140 mph winds. Louisiana has tallied 736 deaths from Katrina and Mississippi has 218. Bodies are still being recovered.

Rita won't follow the path of Katrina, said David Tolleris, a meteorologist with Windsong Forecast, which provides weather forecasts to oil companies, energy traders, brokers and utilities.

The current path puts the storm on course to threaten Texas's oil facilities, prompting Royal Dutch Shell Plc and other oil companies to pull workers from rigs near the two states. Anadarko Petroleum Corp. and Marathon Oil Corp. also said today they were evacuating workers from Gulf platforms ahead of Rita, the 17th named storm of the season.

Corpus Christi, which is about 125 miles from the border with Mexico, is home to two refineries operated by San Antonio-based Valero Energy Corp. and one each by Citgo Petroleum Corp. and Koch Industries Inc.

Florida Keys

Crude oil and gasoline fell from a two-week high today in New York as forecasts showed Rita may veer more to the south than originally forecast and be less likely to damage refineries and production platforms around the Gulf of Mexico. About 30 percent of U.S. oil production comes from platforms in the Gulf. The region accounts for 24 percent of U.S. gas output.

Rita's center has moved past Key West, though the islands will continue to be pelted with wind and rain tonight, hurricane center meteorologist Colin McAdie said. Sand Key, Florida, reported sustained winds of 60 mph with a gust of 92 mph, the center said. Rita is expected to dump as much as 8 inches of rain across the Keys, with 10 inches possible in some areas.

U.S. President George W. Bush, making stops in Mississippi and Louisiana today, signed an emergency declaration for Florida, making the state and its residents eligible for federal assistance to recovery from the hurricane.

Route 1 Flooded

Parts of Route 1, the highway that spans the Keys, was flooded by Rita, and there has been sporadic power outages, downed palm trees and debris reported, said Jonathan Weinshank, a Monroe County public information officer.

``It could have been worse if it had hit the Keys directly or strengthened sooner,'' Weinshank said today in an interview.

This is the first time since 1995 that the storms have reached the letter ``R;'' 1995 brought Hurricane Tanya. Hurricanes are measured on the five-step Saffir-Simpson scale. A tropical storm becomes a hurricane when winds reach 74 mph. A Category 2 storm has winds of at least 96 mph, a Category 3 has winds of at least 111 mph and Category 4 hurricanes have winds of 131 mph.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...fsJ5s&refer=us

Crazy stuff, i really hope this thing misses those areas that havent been devastated by Katrina, its a shitty thing to say but i really hope it hits New Orleans where there arent many people in the city.

Regards,

Lee

Xstr8guy
    This is absolutely crazy. My partner and I were suppose to go to New Orleans for Southern Decadence... then Hurricane Katrina hit. Now my partner is suppose to take his sister and niece to Corpus Christi for the weekend and Rita is scheduled to be in the area at the same time. WTF?!

Nysus
    I wonder if this is God being pissed off at Bush for saying he spoke to him to gain Catholics/religious peoples' votes... It's also headed for Texas, which is Bush's home....

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy
    This is absolutely crazy. My partner and I were suppose to go to New Orleans for Southern Decadence... then Hurricane Katrina hit. Now my partner is suppose to take his sister and niece to Corpus Christi for the weekend and Rita is scheduled to be in the area at the same time. WTF?!
    You need to be getting hubby and his sister rethinking their plans Jim

Regards,

Lee

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    You need to be getting hubby and his sister rethinking their plans Jim

Regards,

Lee
    Lol, the trip has been canceled!

desslock
    I have friends from Houston who are coming up here if it hits the city as a catagory 4 or 5.

Steve

Well right now, CNN are reporting that it is more than a catgory 5 with speeds of around 165mph :eek:

The past couple of years have certainly been freaky weather wise

Regards,

Lee

hmm..

I don't see any big disasters in the BLUE states, now, do I?

God Hates the South.

sorry, Texas, but you ARE the weakest link.. goodbye.
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

Xstr8guy
    Jasun, Lousiana is a red state but nearly 80% of New Orleans residents voted for Kerry in 2004. And remember that Louisiana has a female democrat governor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasun
    hmm..

God Hates the South.

Ha ha ha ha ha!

So I wonder what they'll say about THE WRATH OF GOD if a good chunk of Texas is destroyed? Texas is full of fags and must be destroyed? bah ha ha ha ha
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

desslock
    Well I just returned from the grocery store, and lemme tell ya - that place was crazy. Although Austin is a 4 hour drive from the coast/Galveston.... they are saying that we could get 50 mph winds and possible tornados. And everyone is obviously taking plenty of precautions. Plus the one million evacuees are all heading to Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas, so everything is jamming up.

I've never been in a hurricane, but growing up in the Dallas Ft Worth area I sure have experience with tornados. Those could be bad. And I'll have a friend in town this weekend refuging from Houston.

The Radio Shack geek in me has blessed me with possesion of a nifty portable Sangaen AM/FM/SSW radio, a groovy weatherradio, a super LED flashlight that can shine a lightbeam into the inkiest night and even a scanner.

In Texas we have a 24/7 all Texas news network run by the Belo Corp [TXCN] , and they've been providing great coverage of everything.

Right now they are saying Rita will hit the coast in Matagorda County, which is a few counties down from Houston. That part of Texas is where we grow lots of rice (Texmati) and the deliciously sweet Rio Star grapefruit.

Steve

Sounds exciting Steve! Were their prayer groups at the store and/or people handing out leaflets about the end coming?

Nice you have a friend in town for the storm. Making love during a storm is exciting! You will have a good time. Keep us posted. I'm sending happy positive vibes your way.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by desslock
    Well I just returned from the grocery store, and lemme tell ya - that place was crazy. Although Austin is a 4 hour drive from the coast/Galveston.... they are saying that we could get 50 mph winds and possible tornados. And everyone is obviously taking plenty of precautions. Plus the one million evacuees are all heading to Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas, so everything is jamming up.

I've never been in a hurricane, but growing up in the Dallas Ft Worth area I sure have experience with tornados. Those could be bad. And I'll have a friend in town this weekend refuging from Houston.

The Radio Shack geek in me has blessed me with possesion of a nifty portable Sangaen AM/FM/SSW radio, a groovy weatherradio, a super LED flashlight that can shine a lightbeam into the inkiest night and even a scanner.

In Texas we have a 24/7 all Texas news network run by the Belo Corp [TXCN] , and they've been providing great coverage of everything.

Right now they are saying Rita will hit the coast in Matagorda County, which is a few counties down from Houston. That part of Texas is where we grow lots of rice (Texmati) and the deliciously sweet Rio Star grapefruit.

Steve
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Slade
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasun
    hmm..

God Hates the South.

boooooohaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!
    I think it would be fucking uterly fantastic if just as the hurricane is about to hit the coastline, it suddenly lifts into the air and then comes down smack dab in the middle of Crawford! Then after it does it's business there, just goes straight up into the air and disappear.

You don't THAT wouldn't send a message? :goofy:

desslock
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirt
    Sounds exciting Steve! Were their prayer groups at the store and/or people handing out leaflets about the end coming?
    Oh no no. Not in this part of town. This is west Austin.... which is pretty much limosine liberals, conservative Democrats and country club Republicans.
    It's more likely that you will see people flooding to the pallacial Whole Foods headquarters store here and stocking up on enough organic yeast for the next seven days.

Steve

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirt
    Desslock is right about that. Those idiots are here in Dallas not in Austin. Austin is about the only decent city in Texas.