Thread: Anyone Know Where I Can Find A List Of Non-Essential..

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Anyone Know Where I Can Find A List Of Non-Essential..

Windows system process files?

I just checked and i have about 50 processes running and i know im not using all of them or at least, some of them are running and they dont need to be.

Would anyone know where to find a list of these system process names preferably, one that will also tell me whether i can safely disable them?

Regards,

Lee

SLS
    Spybot Search & Destroy lists all your running processes, and when you click on each, it tells you exactly what they are, what they are used for, and if you really need them. You can then turn them off and keep them from ever running again if they are useless, spyware, trojans, etc.

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Try this site

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?filter=&letter=H

:coffee: oh and when you figure out let me know, all that techie jargon sheesh
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Thanks Jay ill give that a try shortly

Ian, thanks also, just added that url to my ever growing list of bookmarks LOL

Regards,

Lee

SLS
    Spybot SE is actually the better option, because a lot of awful crap will disguise itself as something else, but a program like this can usually tell the difference and warn you. But a list like that is a great reference if you happen to have any running processes that spybot dosn't recognize (which hasn't happened to me yet.)

Plus it's free, and it's really easy to update the lists from within the program.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Go to

www.answersthatwork.com

and click on "task list." It's the most complete and regularly updated listing of processes that are running, what they do, and what application they are from. (along with a recommendation as to whether they can safely be removed.)

Unlike Spybot, it will be able to tell you about things that obviously aren't spyware, but are totally unnecessary "bloatware" (such as the Quicktime process that insists on running itself all the time though it's not at all useful unless you're viewing a Quicktime file.)

I've found that to be one of the most useful resources for keeping my machines running smoothly.

SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by boyfunk
    Go to

www.answersthatwork.com

Unlike Spybot, it will be able to tell you about things that obviously aren't spyware, but are totally unnecessary "bloatware" (such as the Quicktime process that insists on running itself all the time though it's not at all useful unless you're viewing a Quicktime file.)

Actually that's one of the things I love about Spybot; Even if it isn't spyware or a trojan, it will tell you what a process is, what program and company it's from, and what will happen if you get rid of it.

SLS
    dur I'm stupid, that only applies to startup processes, anything else is displayed on a rather cryptic page that you would have to cross reference with a site like the ones mentioned above. I guess a combination of the two is best. But still I highly recommend spybot, you'll get rid of a lot of useless startup crap that isn't even listed in your startup dir, and some that is.