Thread: How Much Attention Do You Pay To Press Releases And..

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

How Much Attention Do You Pay To Press Releases And..

How much do PRs sway your decisions when choosing who to do business with?

For example, lets say that GWW put a press release out saying we had over 10,000 community members when, in reality, we only had 100 would you still want to do business with us based on that lie?

Just curious to find out what those of you who do your companys marketing plans thought about such facts and figures?

When PRs go out, should they be honest and actually reflect the true numbers / figures whenever possible or do you not mind companies 'inflating' their figures in order to get your business?

Regards,

Lee

LiveBucks_Rob
    I use them more as a tool to get the word out for various campaigns, to keep tabs on the market and who's doing what more than to release actual stats and figures.

I think they should be honest, you don't want to get in over your head to where you can't live up to the promises your own advertising attracts.

j0el
    Everything should be honest !!!
    That's how we built our business by getting people to trust us.

As for reading PR...I take a look at all the PR that comes out in print and on ressources. To see what's going around in the biz and who's doing what !

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    To be honest, its an area I have not paid much attention to. However I would say that any press release that isnt honest is a detriment to gaining business as these days it is just too easy to get called on it given all the boards and such that exist.

I'd also say that given my natural skepticism, when figures are mentioned I tend to view them as mere hype rather than being actual fact. I find releases that make me look at them are those with announcements that are specific as to the program rather than too statistical details.

Using your example, I'd shy away if it said 100,000 members but would be more apt to look at it if it said... "high drama now on about 2257-come read views by gay webmasters in the know" or something like that.

just my opinion :coffee:
    Ian
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

Paco
    In short, no!

The long-winded blah-blah:

When it come to online anything ... hell no, I tend to sway in the opposite direction. I know a press release is to help sell something, thusly no matter what, they will not tell you someting negative or point out the bad, but rather the only the good. Classic example = Billy Boy G and his O.S.

For me, message board marketing means next to nothing (sorry to say, but I see marketing as 99% lies, with a mere 1% truth or fact). I am not saying I never acquire something positive from a board (Xstr8guy pointed me in a good direction with GunzBlazin), I am merely saying I feel most of the text contained online is BS, and for many reasons:
    - money makes people do very evil things.
    - people are not accountable.
    - too man people are concerned with themselves and care little about others.

We live in an age of lies, so when it comes to 'business' (as well some parts of life) words really do not mean much to me, unless they a). come from a reliable or reputable source, being someone I know, such as a friend (I do not throw that word around often as they mean the world to me, so it is not to be confused with acquaintances) or b). are on a piece of paper, which is meant to bind one to their words (contracts & etc, not that contracts mean much these days).

It is sad, but this is the direction the masses have decided to go by accepting it so easily.

Commercials and TV tell you it is okay to say whatever it takes to acquire what one wants (and for stupid shot like getting laid).
    Certain religions tell people to with withhold certain information so to not hurt a person feelings (need not go any further than evolution)
    Politicians tell lies every day

The day I see public apologies followed by compensation for misrepresentation and whatnot is the day I believe what I read online.

No, I am not a bitter person, merely a pessimist when it comes to the online experience.
    The truth is what I live for!

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco
    For me, message board marketing means next to nothing (sorry to say, but I see marketing as 99% lies, with a mere 1% truth or fact). I am not saying I never acquire something positive from a board (Xstr8guy pointed me in a good direction with GunzBlazin), I am merely saying I feel most of the text contained online is BS, and for many reasons:
    - money makes people do very evil things.
    - people are not accountable.
    - too man people are concerned with themselves and care little about others.
    You know, for the most part i tend to agree with you however, it has also been my experience that we dont have many on GWW who 'bend' the facts and there are a bunch of people here who, if they say something, even i tend to take as gospel as they really have nothing to gain by not being honest in business.

That being said, with the increased popularity of message boards in the last 2 years, there are also a handfull of posters who you can genuinely rely on when they say something but yeah, most of the time you have to filter through the BS to find the absolute truth however, when you do find the truth, its often golden

Regards,

Lee

I think PRs are important to get word out, but I only tend to read them when I have a few spare minutes to waste.

But, if I read a press release and then found out they were lying, that company would lose all credibility and I would be extremely hesitant to do business with their site or post on their board.

cheers,
    Luke

Paco
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    You know, for the most part i tend to agree with you however, it has also been my experience that we dont have many on GWW who 'bend' the facts and there are a bunch of people here who, if they say something, even i tend to take as gospel as they really have nothing to gain by not being honest in business.
    That being said, with the increased popularity of message boards in the last 2 years, there are also a handfull of posters who you can genuinely rely on when they say something but yeah, most of the time you have to filter through the BS to find the absolute truth however, when you do find the truth, its often golden
    Agreed: this board, GWW, does seem to have more web masters with honest intentions (just one of the reasons why I only post here and at one other smaller board, which consists mainly of Russian web masters).
    I also agree that a person does need to filter through BS, unfortunately.