Thread: If your domain was shut down on you

Ah, 80 Hour Work Weeks, The American Dream! tombarr's Avatar

If your domain was shut down on you

As we posted in a different thread yesterday, we just shut down a website that was pirating our videos, and it was network solutions that pulled the plug as their domain registrar.

Now that domain, twinkleangel.com, on networksolutions shows as Registrar-Lock (which i think is a safety measure to prevent others from stealing the domain and that this is something the domain owner did before the shutdown)

However, their DNS information shows as
    NOT-HOSTED.AUPTERMINATION.com
    INVALID-DNS.AUPTERMINATION.com
    and their IP Locations as -(-)
    and IP address as 1.1.1.1

What ways are available for this website owner to transfer his domain to another registrar?

He can open an account with another registrar and then apply to transfer it if I am not mistaken, but will networksolutions allow the transfer of a domain that has been given this status?

anyone know or can speculate on the likely ways they may be able to reclaim their domain and repoint it at their server?

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    If NSI has the domain locked and the customer can't unlock it, he's probably shit outta luck.

There are definitely ways to transfer a domain out from under an unhelpful registrar to another registrar, but only if the domain can be unlocked. But as far as I know, NSI is under no obligation to release the domain if it's terminated for a serious AUP violation.

The owner *might* be able to file a grievance with ICANN and protest NSI's decision to terminate the domain, but that's a pretty slow process, and I would be surprised if ICANN would overrule NSI on an AUP violation.

Frankly, I'm surprised that NSI even took this action. I've found them to be exceptionally greedy and interested only in their own well being, and I don't think there's any legal precedent in place that would hold a domain registrar liable for copyright infringement by one of its customers.

ethanmasters
    Chips correct... you can tranfer any site to any registrar, but only if you have the ability to unlock the domain.

Ah, 80 Hour Work Weeks, The American Dream! tombarr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boyfunk
    If NSI has the domain locked and the customer can't unlock it, he's probably shit outta luck.

There are definitely ways to transfer a domain out from under an unhelpful registrar to another registrar, but only if the domain can be unlocked. But as far as I know, NSI is under no obligation to release the domain if it's terminated for a serious AUP violation.

The owner *might* be able to file a grievance with ICANN and protest NSI's decision to terminate the domain, but that's a pretty slow process, and I would be surprised if ICANN would overrule NSI on an AUP violation.

Frankly, I'm surprised that NSI even took this action. I've found them to be exceptionally greedy and interested only in their own well being, and I don't think there's any legal precedent in place that would hold a domain registrar liable for copyright infringement by one of its customers.

Well according to their published AUP they have wide reaching and very broad interpretive powers and can make findings and judgements and take actions based strictly on their beliefs, and suspicions and are not responsible for any refunds or damges as a result.

http://www.networksolutions.com/legal/aup.jhtml