Thread: Bush nominates his former staff secretary to supreme court, no judicial experience

Bush nominates his former staff secretary to supreme court, no judicial experience

God damn it's just a good old boys network. She's from Texas. She's Bushes former staff secretary. She has NO judicial experience. She's Bushes former personal lawyer from Texas. She's 60 years old with no track record.... and Bush thinks she'll make an excellent supreme court judge? I wonder if she'll do as good as his old FEMA buddy did?

What's your take on this?

from time magazine - an article called:
    How Many More Mike Browns Are Out There?
    A TIME inquiry finds that at top positions in some vital government agencies, the Bush Administration is putting connections before experience

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...0.html?cnn=yes

i was just thinking... half the coffee shops in my area require more experience on the job than our new supreme court justices have :-(

Am i gay? Am i straight? And then i realized ... I'm just slutty. Northstar's Avatar
    Harriet Miers is going to be problems at least on gay issues. This morning in Bush's nomination speech he said she has worked with Exodus Ministries which is a ex-gay right-wing group. She is also not married and has no kids. What are the odds that she her self is a ex-gay. If she is I think that would be even worse then Bush having nominated a known right-winger.

Am i gay? Am i straight? And then i realized ... I'm just slutty. Northstar's Avatar
    Well I guess I was wrong. The Exodus Ministries that she does work for is not the same as the "ex-gay" group as per HRC.org.

I might be completely ignorant here... but the FEMA guy had no experience in his field, and this woman has no experience being a judge. Since when do we hire people that have no track record in their given field for the TOP POSITIONS available in our country?

Why are people back home letting this happen? When the hell did people stop giving a shit in America?

Quote Originally Posted by Northstar
    She is also not married and has no kids. What are the odds that she her self is a ex-gay. If she is I think that would be even worse then Bush having nominated a known right-winger.
    I dunno about being an Ex-Gay but she does fit the stereotype of a lesbian that doesn't know how to wear makeup.. just look at the poor dear:

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirt
    Since when do we hire people that have no track record in their given field for the TOP POSITIONS available in our country?
    Um... I think the last two presidential elections. :boo:
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by WWC-DonMike
    Um... I think the last two presidential elections. :boo:
    I'm more inclined to think now that the general public are much more passive then I originally anticipated.

Interesting connection between Miers and her saving Bushes ass in regards to investigations concerning him. What are your thoughts?

---------

Then-Gov. George W. Bush appointed Miers to a six-year-term on the commission shortly after he was elected governor in 1994. After she'd been on the job 18 months, news surfaced that the lottery director's boyfriend had been employed as a consultant for GTECH, the lottery's main contractor.

The Miers-led commission fired the director, Nora Linares, in January maintaining she couldn't be an effective leader because she'd been so damaged by the scandal. Linares filed suit against the commission but later dropped that lawsuit and instead sued GTECH. An agreement ending the dispute with the commission exonerated Linares.

But Linares' attorney, Charles Soechting, complained that Miers took an unnecessarily hard-nose approach to his client, refusing to let her exit gracefully by resigning.

"I learned from Harriet that someone can be stone cold and at the same time act like they care," he told Texas Lawyer in 2003.

The commission fired Linares' replacement, Lawrence Littwin, in October 1997, four months after he was hired. Littwin's dismissal came amid a decline in sales, but the commission wouldn't say why he was fired. He had ruffled feathers for ordering lottery security officers to research campaign finance records of 30 current and former state officials.

Littwin claimed GTECH used its political influence to have him fired. Miers denied the accusation.

It was a lawsuit by Littwin that helped to ignite questions about whether Bush used political influence to avoid active duty during the Vietnam War.

Littwin's lawyers suggested that former Lt. Gov. Ben Barnes, who was a lobbyist for GTECH until January 1997, helped the company keep its state contract to run the lottery in exchange for keeping silent about how he had helped Bush get into the National Guard in the late 1960s.

Barnes denied the allegations.

Miers resigned as lottery commission chairman in 2000, a year early. She said her resignation had nothing to do with lagging sales in its biggest game, Lotto Texas, but rather that she wanted to allow her successor time to prepare for rebidding the lottery's primary operator contract. FULL STORY

------------

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    not married and no kids? she's lesbian probably or career woman....

read a while ago something about her filling out a questionare in 1989 saying she's pro-funding AIDS and pro-gay rights.

So we have queer boy Roberts and now her?

I read on Rawstory the dems leader told Cheney she should be nominated.

And it doesn't look like the conservative fringe is liking the choice

Quote Originally Posted by jIgG
    not married and no kids? she's lesbian probably or career woman....

read a while ago something about her filling out a questionare in 1989 saying she's pro-funding AIDS and pro-gay rights.

So we have queer boy Roberts and now her?

I read on Rawstory the dems leader told Cheney she should be nominated.

And it doesn't look like the conservative fringe is liking the choice
    Well this woman has been Bushes right hand man for years... no matter her sexual orientation, she can be as mentally screwed as any cronie.

)sigh( if only we had crystal balls.. I mean a crystal ball :high:

the general public is incredibly passive. i'm actually pretty blown away by this.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt
    I'm more inclined to think now that the general public are much more passive then I originally anticipated.

Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    the general public is incredibly passive. i'm actually pretty blown away by this.
    Yeah... kinda like the first time you realize that everyone you meet isn't playing with a full deck... but this is much more scarier. This really brings the sheep and wolves saying to life for me. The last 4 years have been a real eye opener, and growing experience, for me personally with 911, Bush, and my personal court case I had to go through. There are some REALLY messed up things in this world and people who shouldn't be given the time of day have the keys to the kingdom.