Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gay Members Area 800x600 Or A High Resolution

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men? IntenseCash.com's Avatar

Gay Members Area 800x600 Or A High Resolution

We are redesigning all our gay members sections and are trying to figure out if we should still go with a resolution that is 800x600 or go higher. This site http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp is showing that only 25% are using 800x600 now and 55% are using 1024x768. I also like to keep in mind that gay people have more disposable income so wouldn't they have higher resolutions too, .

Thanks,
    Mark
    * IntenseCash.com - If you can't convert us you better look for a new job!

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    You know this is going to sound strange but..

We typically design sites that are going to sell instead of based on a resolution that a surfer may use, one way to acheive this is by using a percentage value for table widths instead of a fixed pixel size.

Even 8x6 resolution surfers can see a table as its supposed to look if its set at 80% width

Regards,

Lee

obviously you don't want to lose 25% of your joins/members. so design for 800x600 but the widest possible 800x600, and make the page fairly long. that way the tour won't look like a postage stamp in 1024.

davespeedoevans

Interesting

I've always designed my sites in 800x600 (well not always I did originally do everything 640x480) but over the last couple of months I've been thinking of going higher.

But like yourself - too many (25% is way too many) still use 800x600.

I totally agree with Lee and Basschick - I can't afford to piss off 25% of my current OR MORE IMPORTANTLY potential members. And these days I only use a laptop myself so until I get that massive 40 something inch monitor - I don't really want more than 800x600.

Just my thoughts.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men? IntenseCash.com's Avatar
    Great responses everyone. Thanks a bunch and have a great weekend.

Mark
    * IntenseCash.com - If you can't convert us you better look for a new job!

Am I Bitter?...Absolutely Tristin's Avatar
    I always design in 8 by 6 just to be safe. A lot of people use that res for some odd reason.

Ace_Luffy
    me... also in 760x800 .... to be more safe :cry:

Happysucks
    It's a lot more work but with a lot of non adult sites, they offer both with an option on the splash. Much like they do with wallpapers.

I don't think I have seen this on adult sites.

But if you offer both or even a mix of all variant resolution sizes, you would cater to everyone. 100%.

Ah, 80 Hour Work Weeks, The American Dream! tombarr's Avatar
    Agree with Lee, but agree with the 8 x 6 also. So seems the best idea would be to design using table percentages so that no matter what the client browser resolution it will always be the right size in their browser.

Paco
    I am sure many of you already know, but here is something I quite often refer to:

Source = http://www.onestat.com/html/aboutus_pressbox38.html
    1. 1024 x 768 57.38%
    2. 800 x 600 18.23%
    3. 1280 x 1024 14.18%
    4. 1152 x 864 4.95%
    5. 1600 x 1200 1.67%
    6. 1280 x 800 1.56%
    7. 1600 x 1024 0.55%

C yah l8tr 8x6

Ah, 80 Hour Work Weeks, The American Dream! tombarr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco
    I am sure many of you already know, but here is something I quite often refer to:

Source = http://www.onestat.com/html/aboutus_pressbox38.html
    1. 1024 x 768 57.38%
    2. 800 x 600 18.23%
    3. 1280 x 1024 14.18%
    4. 1152 x 864 4.95%
    5. 1600 x 1200 1.67%
    6. 1280 x 800 1.56%
    7. 1600 x 1024 0.55%

C yah l8tr 8x6
    Great information! Sure puts things in perspective. I also think that this might be specific to the type of traffic also.... Gamer traffic, serious surfers, are usually higher res.... Aol surfers, less frequent users, just email checkers, etc. i think tend to use lower resolutions IMO. Also, sort of depends on the default settings in computers. Many people don't know how to change that ...

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    The problem with the dynamic table sizing is it won't work (well, it won't work well) if your graphics are customized to the display size.

We went back and forth about this a month or two ago when we wrote the specs for the (long awaited) redesign of our sites, and decided to do both 800x600 and 1024x768. I'm told we can use a PHP tool to determine the correct browser dimensions and then send the correct version of the site, so we'll be playing with that over the next month.

Paco
    Quote Originally Posted by tombarr
    Also, sort of depends on the default settings in computers. Many people don't know how to change that ...
    I find it simply absurd how people simply accept what is given to them.

The first thing I always do after an install or a new system has been completed is head straight for the options/preferences/tools button and modify.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Ya gotta remember a lot of surfers (ours, at least) are Luddites. They barely know how to use a mouse, let alone find their way to the display settings

Quote Originally Posted by Paco
    I find it simply absurd how people simply accept what is given to them.
    my mates have a habit of inviting me around to their place to "speed up" their new computers. Its amazing how much crap comes pre-installed on computers, like AOL and other ISP connection software, MSN, etc, etc....all running resident in memory cuz they all think that they are important. When I get a new computer for myself, I install a fresh copy of windows from scratch.

cheers,
    Luke