Thread: What's up with this site www2.sculptedcd.com?

Xstr8guy

What's up with this site www2.sculptedcd.com?

This site is linking to some of my AVS sites. http://www2.sculptedcd.com/
    I didn't request the links and they seem rather harmless. They aren't sending me very much traffic but the pages that I'm getting clicks from have Google PR 3-4 which is cool with me.

So why would someone do that? What are they getting in return? Are they somehow using my sites for their gain? I don't know how that is possible since I'm not linking back.

And what is with the www2? I tried the url with the standard www and it seemed to be a completely unrelated non-adult site.

Happysucks
    Who knows but it looks like a lot of twink/incest links

Xstr8guy
    EEEK! I didn't look that carefully. Believe me, my sites are neither twink or incest.

Dzinerbear
    Not only does Google check the anchor text in a link on your site, but it recognized the page you're linking to and the actual text on that page.

If you run a site about "red dogs" it is possible for you to rank well for the term "purple cats" if (a) you have a good reputation with Google and are considered an authority site (a directory) and (b) if you link to a page (yours or someone else's) that talks about "purple cats."

I have even seen non purple cats sites rank higher than good sites about purple cats simply because the linking site has a good PR, a good history and reputation, and they're considered an authority site.

You need to remember that in the beginning Google counted numbers of links. So people put tons of links on their pages. Then Google started checking for keywords in the linked text, so people started stuffing keywords in their anchor text ... on it goes. It's an endless game of cat and mouse, as SEO types figure out what works to get good rankings, Google develops and enhances their algorithm to become more sophisticated.

Cheers
    Michael

Xstr8guy
    Thanks for the detailed response Michael. Iyo, are the links on this site hurting, helping or doing nothing for me? Or is this guy just using the text on my sites for his benefit?

Dzinerbear
    Generally speaking, you're not penalized for the sites linking to you, that wouldn't be fair, you have no control over that.

If he's a half decent site then he's probably benefiting you and your PR. But I would hazzard a guess that he's getting more from it than you are.

Michael

Xstr8guy
    Did you get a look at the site? What do you make of it? It looks like some kind of automated directory script. Where do I get one of those? Lol

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy
    And what is with the www2? I tried the url with the standard www and it seemed to be a completely unrelated non-adult site.
    Does anybody know what this is all about?

Happysucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy
    Does anybody know what this is all about?
    If Happysucks.com (example) was on it's own server and I had so much stuff I needed another server, the second server would be www2 and ww3 if needed.

It's a "slave" Server.

Happysucks
    and a fun ww2 / ww3 fact:

Several days before google updats its database at its www.site you can get a preview of the new data index at www2.google.com and www3.google.com.