Thread: Question about models

twoyguy

I Wonder? Question about models

Hey everyone,

I'm a real newbie in this industry... after a couple of months of hard work and with a year left in university I am aiming to set up a gay online magazine by the time I graduate. Anyway, the framework of the website is almost done (those open source content management system are a b**ch when you want to heavily customize them!) and it's almost time to focus on the design/content.

I was able to find most of the information I needed yet I think some of you might be able to help me with three questions I had about taking photos of models.

1. Is there a lot of legal paperwork associated with taking non-nudes photos of a model? (i.e. the guy is at least in his boxers)

2. How much are models usually paid for a 1.5 to 2 hours photo shoot?

3. Does the contract usually gives the photographer the right to use the model's photo in any way they want? (Online, in a magazine, in a book, etc).

Thanks !!!

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by twoyguy
    1. Is there a lot of legal paperwork associated with taking non-nudes photos of a model? (i.e. the guy is at least in his boxers)
    You'd probably be best aiming for the same type of documentation required for fully nude photos, better safe than sorry, that means you'll need at least 1 (preferably 2) forms of I.D one of which should be government issued and have a photo on it in addition to a model release form, we have an old sample one floating around GWW somewhere, i *think* its in the articles section of the directory itself

2. How much are models usually paid for a 1.5 to 2 hours photo shoot?
    How much do YOU want to pay them? Seriously, if you can get away with a model doing a shoot fo $50, pay him $50, if you cant, see what the lowest figure you can get a model for is, some guys pay models $500 and as i say, some pay them $50. Its mostly dependant on how experienced the model is and, what you can afford to pay them.

3. Does the contract usually gives the photographer the right to use the model's photo in any way they want? (Online, in a magazine, in a book, etc).
    The model release can give you whatever type of rights you want to put in it, if you want to specify magazine use, feel free to do so, most contracts (model release forms) say that the models likeness can be used for anything you want, so long as it isnt harmfull to the model.

Im sure Chad or one of the long-time providers will be able to chime in on this one for you to and, welcome to the community :thumbsup:

Regards,

Lee

twoyguy

Heres A Thought

Wow thanks a lot for the quick reply!

I'm in Canada and if I can get away by paying them 50$ CAD I'd be well within budget! It's a good idea to adapt the price based on my budget but I also want it to be fair in case I need them again... I plan on mostly using the pictures on the website to accompany the articles of my writers, yet I would eventually like to sell a photo book like XY does. I was thinking about a % of profit scheme but it would be a pain to keep track of everything (what goes to whom and so on). Anyway, just thinking out loud right now.

Thanks again

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I know a number of people who do non-nude shoots, pay $50-75, and have plenty of guys to choose from, so I think you'd be fine. Keep in mind too that you can easily get two or three different shoots in one session, just ask them to bring a couple changes of clothes and have a couple different settings available, so you can get really good value, save the 2nd update and use it months after the first is posted. Before our content was well organized, we'd forget that we had a 2nd shoot of a model and discover it a year later and be delighted that we had an extra "free" update.

As for docs... if it's non-nude, you're definitely exempt from 2257. Technically, if it's nude and not sexually explicit (as in, the guy isn't touching himself or it isn't obviously sexual) it's *still* 2257 exempt. But Lee's point is a good one... you have to get a release anyway, so might as well just get a photo ID. A lot of the photogs I know photograph the model holding their ID and release, and also a copy of the day's newspaper, which proves that the shoot didn't happen before the date of the newspaper.

We have some projects coming up next year that could be a good fit for what you're doing, perhaps there are some ways we could work together... PM me if you're interested and we can talk further.

i'm shooting non nude, but i still get a good copy of the drivers license in addition to the modeling release. the way i see it, better safe than sorry.

the modeling release i get makes me the sole owner of the pics, and i can use them for any purpose.

what you pay your models may partly be affected by what kind of models you want to shoot. you can often get away with paying mr average amateur $75 for an hour, but if you want gorgeous hunks or other glamour-quality models, you'll usually pay more. i have been paying between $125 and $150 per hour for some pretty muscular and good-looking dudes who have some modeling experience.

what part of canada are you in? i know someone in montreal who might be able to tell you where he advertised to find models.