Thread: When Did You Last Submit To Dmoz?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

When Did You Last Submit To Dmoz?

Just wondered when you submitted a site to Dmoz last and, how long it took you to get listed?

The last time i submitted a site it took almost 3 months to get listed and then i had to bother GiGi about getting it listed LOL

For those of you who have submitted recently, have you been listed yet or are you still waiting?

Regards,

Lee

Ah, 80 Hour Work Weeks, The American Dream! tombarr's Avatar
    I think it has become hit and miss. We have had sites submitted, and then never listed, some sites get in right away.

I was just thinking about this the other day and was wondering how DMOZ's revenue stream was doing now. Who are they feeding search results to anymore?

It's a great way to get a site crawled by being in that directory but it is very frustrating to get listed sometimes.

i have never gotten a site listed in dmoz - and i used to submit 'em, too. my sites are cleaner than most - less ads, bigger pics, but i guess dmoz didn't like 'em

Dzinerbear
    Like basschick, I've never gotten listed either. The last time I bothered submitting was in 2003. I fretted about it intially, now I could care less. I have submitted several times over the years, but I have never received a reply to any request. Still, I'm not suffering without a listing.

Michael

Paco
    Never!
    After reading posts, similar to those above (submitting yet never being listed), I've never really seen a reason to.

Meant to be Obscene, not Heard. HotMaleVideos's Avatar
    Tried a few times. Never happened.

They never seemed to keeping their some-10,000 volunteers (or whatever) in line enough to make it happen with any regularity. Lots of neglected categories. Adult and mainstream.

dannyz
    I've had a good number of sites listed over the years and it's helped my page ranks and Google listings considerably. It's not that difficult really, just takes persistence and patience.

My advice is:

- Don't just submit to one category, submit to every possible category that could be relevent to your site.

- Read the rules and follow them closely. Make sure your description is not too spammy and sounds objective or they won't list you.

- Seek out and find DMOZ editors and send them messages to their personal emails.

- If at first you don't succeed, try try again!

Cheers,
    Dan

robin
    I've had a few sites listed. I most recently submitted a site about 4 weeks ago.

I personally don't care whether I get any of my sites in or not. It's not a priority but it's nice when a site does get listed.

SLS
    In my day a good listing at dmoz was priceless. One of the first things I did after I figured that out was apply to be an editor there. I was one for years in top level adult gay categories. I rarely used it to my advantage but when I did it really paid off. The editors there are very corrupt though, probably because the space is worth a lot of money. Control of listings there is extremely competitive. I have no idea what advantages there are now to getting your site into dmoz but when I became an editor there in 99 there were too many to count.

As far as the time it takes, most categories and subcategories have different editors, and the editors change over time. There is never any way to guess how long it'll take, unless you've recently submitted some sites to the same category. Even then it's pretty random.