Thread: Leased content .. how much do users use?

dalimili

Leased content .. how much do users use?

I was just looking at http://www.hardgayfeeds.com/pricing.html

How can one determine - for the first month of new website - how much bandwidth will users use ?

Does anyone have any experience for instance regarding the number of members and aproximate bandwidth usage?

Help appreciated

Ronaldo
    Here's a guide that I use for our price chart below, but there are a LOT of other factors that can affect it...

Members Price Bandwidth Overage per GB
    1-10 $99.00 15 GB $6.27
    11-50 $150.00 25 GB $5.70
    51-100 $250.00 50 GB $4.75
    101-500 $450.00 100 GB $4.27
    501-1000 $1,000.00 250 GB $3.80
    1,001-1,500 $1,500.00 400 GB $3.56
    1,501-2,000 $2,000.00 600 GB $3.16
    2,001-3,000 $2,500.00 800 GB $3.00

Now, some of the other factors?

-How much of your OWN content do you have.
    -How much OTHER leased content do you have.
    -Where ARE the feeds on your site.
    -Where are the feeds placed in relation to other feeds on your site.
    -How many of the feeds are you using.

So it's really impossible to say that you have 50 members so you should use between $150 and $250 per month.

I'd assume that they'd have a trial period like we do, where they can gauge your usage and quote you a price. It won't always be perfect, but it should be fairly close if you use them during your trial as you would if you were paying for them.

Hope that helps somewhat.

LiveBucks_Rob
    Don't forget about pw abuse etc. as well.
    If you get hit hard over a weekend it can be painfull.

Ronaldo
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveBucks_Rob
    Don't forget about pw abuse etc. as well.
    If you get hit hard over a weekend it can be painfull.
    Most definitely true. It can happen.

We've got some safeguards in place to help ensure it doesn't happen, but unfortunately no system is perfect. When it does happen, we'll work with the client...then I'll HIGHLY suggest they try strongbox. I think I've had 4 clients that have been hit with this problem and all were using the same pw protection software. Once they moved to strongbox, the issue disappeared overnight.

edit-I hate tooting my own horn, but I WILL say that on two separate occasions, I've caught the problem before the client knew anything was wrong. So, not only did they save money with us, but ALL of their other providers and their host (who also responded very well to the situation). Had we not caught the problem, they would have been hammered hard. I'd post the thank you link, but out of respect, I won't link to another forum.

Servhot
    The average user jumps between 10 to 13 different video and does not watch any video longer than 3 minutes. But this is just true if you got a real streamed streming video where people can use FF and RW, or jump to different scenes within the video.

dalimili
    Thanks for your replies guys... that really did help me a lot... and yes, I will have several content providers... the above was just an example... so that probably makes some difference as their usage will not be totally concentrated on only one content feed...

i have an exception to above... we used one feed that allowed us to link direct to each movie and to create templates so that the movies were on pages with our background, link colors, headers etc. we used them as primary content for one of our str8 sites and of course saw a lot more usage than one would usually see at a plugin, as well as longer usage in duration.

when a new movie was listed as the latest update on our main page, guys would spend more than 10 minutes watching it on average - and most members would check it out.