Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is This A Good Machine For Movie Encoding And Stuff?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Is This A Good Machine For Movie Encoding And Stuff?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

Im looking at getting this to use for our movie encoding and dvd editing in the next few days and wondered if that type of setup would be enough for the type of work itll be handling?

Also, whats the best software package to transfer movie from DV tapes to a pc for editing?

Regards,

Lee

Meant to be Obscene, not Heard. HotMaleVideos's Avatar
    It's adequate hardware to get the job done.

If you come across a system with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ or better processor for the same price, go for that one. The dual core AMD chips usually perform better than the Pentium 640 on encoding tasks. As demonstrated here.

I've seen X2 3800+ and Pentium 640 systems around for about the same price.

Like this one Mike?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pa...oductDetail.do

My main concern in all honesty is the amount of RAM the machine has, we want to get one that has around 1gig as standard that we can upgrade to around 2-3 gigs.

Regards,

Lee

Meant to be Obscene, not Heard. HotMaleVideos's Avatar
    Yep, that'll do it. It has a slightly weaker graphics card than the VAIO but that can be upgraded later if you really need to. It won't slow your encoding down, though.

KellyTaylor

My pick!

Well when I'm transfering video that I edit from DV to the computer I use 2 different programs.....
    Adobe Premier Pro OR Ulead DVD workshop....
    If I had used a MAC .. I would Use Final Cut Pro....
    But then again I dont like MACS much only ...if I was using my computer to do only movie editing and use that one program.. I Would I use one..... But I Use my PC for much more...
    And of course I use the Windows OS ( Which is my favorite ) And Adobe Premier Pro and Ulead DVD workshop are my favorite for PC'S using the Windows OS
    Kelly Taylor

Did someone say cocktail? steven619's Avatar

best machine

If you are making .wmv files or will use windows media encoder dual core is not support (yet). A dual xeon will work best if you can stand the noise and the expense. But to be honest, any P4 machine will work if you have the time and not to may videos.

You can also use some third party encoder cards like those on www.digital-rapids.com. The biggest advantage is that is will reduce the CPU needs and will also do a much better job on de-interlacing and video/audio filtering on the board instead of through software.

I have some more info posted on my forums at www.drmpackager.com with profile settings and other information.

The good part, for basic stuff, MS Media Encoder is free and has some great tools. You can also take it via firewire too. The longest part of the process is not the capture part but the rendering to the final profile(s).

A one hour movie will take me only an hour to capture (Watch for dropped frames). But without an encoder card the rendering could take 5 to 8 hours per 1 hour video. With a good encoder card that is reduced to only 1 hour for a one hour video and you can batch profiles so you have a HI, MED, and LO bandwidth file for DRM or just streaming.

If you are going to the phoniex forum in March 2006 I have more detailed information. Or grab me at Internext. No..I do not look like Garfield...I only feel like him. <smile>

Steven
    Steven: 619-269-7442 x401
    Red Apple Media
    Hosting, Development, and video Streaming
    San Diego, CA
    Home PageFacebook

You know, ive just realized something, i really hate buying new computer equipment LOL

Just spent the last hour looking at various setups online and now we're off to Office Depot, Best Buy and Circuit City to trawl the stores for something decent.

Thats not including the trp to Staples we're gonna have to make to buy another desk to put this damn thing on or, the extra memory and removal drives.

I really hate buying new office equipment

Regards,

Lee

Xstr8guy
    The first link is the Sony RB44g... I have the RB36g and it is pretty damned fast when it comes to encoding. But if you want REALLY fast I think most pros would recommend a multi-processor computer.

Anyway, we endedup grabbing this machine from BestBuy earlier this afternoon:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1124431815424

I have to say, so far im loving it, im not a big fan of HP's but, in the time it was taking me to rip 1 DVD im now ripping 3.

I havent opened up Sorenson yet as im gonna rip these titles first and see how hard i can push this machine so far as batch processing goes but as of right now, im really happy with the purchase, its going to make life so much easier for me

Regards,

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    ... im really happy with the purchase, its going to make life so much easier for me

Regards,
    Lee

Well then that's $$$ well spent I'd say

Quote Originally Posted by Seth
    Well then that's $$$ well spent I'd say
    Absolutely

Im currently ripping 20 DVDs to add to the members areas and the last time i did this a few months ago it took almost 7 days to get them done.

Right now, its looking like its going to take 2 days max and im half way through already :thumbsup:

Regards,

Lee

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I know you're using Sorenson, so if you don't already know about it, you may want to take a look at Sorenson's "watch this folder" function... it will basically continually watch a folder (think that will include a DVD drive) and encode anything it finds there.

I've found this to be more reliable than the batch encode function, which seems to randomly either crash Sorenson or else do strange things to the output files after the first 4 or 5 files it processes.

i've never had a problem batching sorenson - so far. what kind of strange things can i expect??? i'll go look for the "watch this folder" option, but you have me curious **

Doctor Dre
    It's allright ... I only do custom build pcs personally ...

Thanks for the advice Chip i actually wondered what that function was for but never got around to checking it out hahaha

I have to sat with the batch feature though, i had 4G of movies to squeeze last night so i put them in a batch (worked out to almost 30 individual scenes) i woke up about an hour ago and they all seem to have been compressed without any problems.

I think ill throw the destop in to the watch folder though for my next set and see how that works.

Regards,

Lee