Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rapidshare vs. password trade

dalimili

Rapidshare vs. password trade

Recently found a list of almost each and every Sean Cody video on one of the password forums, they were all uploaded on rapidshare and shared to thousands of people... only the post on that forum had over 1,800 views...

So... you can somewhat fight password trading sites, by better protection, but how do you fight someone who buys your 3 day trial or 1 month membership, goes inside and downloads everything you have and posts it this way....

There were actually over 100 videos... I could post the links here, but that would be sharing

Xstr8guy
    3 simple letters can take care of that... DRM

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy
    3 simple letters can take care of that... DRM
    Indeed, thats something we'll be using once we have our first exclusive content site next year the problem with DRM is that some members dont like it because they need to remain a member to view the movies.

Thats a trade-off im willing to make though, if they dont like it and want to watch the movies whenever they want to, they can buy the DVDs

Regards,

Lee

dalimili
    Sorry, what exactly does that mean to a surfer?DRM

Xstr8guy
    Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a type of copy protection for videos. A surfer can only view downloaded videos while there membership is active. Once they are no longer a member, they videos will not play.

dalimili
    what... basically he can't upload that video and share with others? Along with that password?

i read a lot about this sort of protection (didn't know it was called DRM) and most of the surfers don't like it... especially there was one thread on Justusboys forum where they show quite an anger regarding sites that use it...

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    I could be wrong, but I thought DRM also allowed for an 'expiry' date to be encoded into the key, so that even if they remained a member the program locked up after 'x' number of days.

Each video receives a unique key to the surfer, which automatically expires. Unless I am thinking of some other program.

Ian
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

Xstr8guy
    I'm conflicted over DRM myself. As a surfer, I hate it. But if surfers didn't insist on file sharing, there would be no need for such protection.

Companies like Sean Cody, Randy Blue, Fratmen.tv spend a fortune producing content. It is in their best interest to protect their media from being given away for free all over the internet. Sure, it may piss surfers off. But if they want the content, they will have to pay for it.

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by gaystoryman
    I could be wrong, but I thought DRM also allowed for an 'expiry' date to be encoded into the key, so that even if they remained a member the program locked up after 'x' number of days.

Each video receives a unique key to the surfer, which automatically expires. Unless I am thinking of some other program.

Ian
    Oh, you are probably correct. But as long as the surfer is a member they could still re-download the expired video.

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy
    Oh, you are probably correct. But as long as the surfer is a member they could still re-download the expired video.
    True, but depending on the expiry date, least the company would still be getting a revenue, and it'd be a bitch to share a new video key every 7 days or whatever the expiry date was set at... wouldn't cut out the sharing for certain, but could curtail it at least. I think there are other parameters as well, such as checking for computer IDs that make it difficult to transfer the file to another computer and still use the key. That would (if my memory is right) make it really hard to trade keys online.. as the DRM program would check for computer ID and nulify the key if the check didn't pass..
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

Slade
    Quote Originally Posted by gaystoryman
    True, but depending on the expiry date, least the company would still be getting a revenue, and it'd be a bitch to share a new video key every 7 days or whatever the expiry date was set at... wouldn't cut out the sharing for certain, but could curtail it at least. I think there are other parameters as well, such as checking for computer IDs that make it difficult to transfer the file to another computer and still use the key. That would (if my memory is right) make it really hard to trade keys online.. as the DRM program would check for computer ID and nulify the key if the check didn't pass..

I was just going to ask if this "key" then would be easily traded with the file itself too. But if it's computer specific..would make it heck if you say wanted to move it to your laptop to take with you somewhere and then view the vids.

I think it is very helpful to have an attorney present at all times who is quite willing to write a letter to the "offending" hosts of these pw sites. I've seen these letters to be pretty effective to getting stuff removed asap!

Of course the two major problems with that are:
    1)You have to find ALL places where this is going on.
    2)Good luck with getting people outside of the U.S. to worry about your attorney's letter.

While "file sharing" can be manipulated to help stimulate some great traffic for your sites if you do it the right way, it still remains a LARGE problem for unregulated sharing.

CorbinFisher.com CorbinFisher_BD's Avatar
    Unfortunately there are those who've managed to find a way to get around DRM. Even sites that use it can expect to see their videos posted on RapidShare and P2P networks. Not in the numbers they were made available before, but they're being pirated still nonetheless.

I suppose the way to look at it is that whereas before DRM the instant you made a file available to members it'd make its way to the piracy networks and be all over the place in a matter of days, not it takes a bit longer for that to happen. And the run-of-the-mill copyright-infringers aren't able to get ahold of the files as easily. Those with the technical skills and knowledge, however, can steal them just as easily today as they could a few years ago, DRM notwithstanding.

CorbinFisher's Amateur College Men

things could have changed since i looked into it, but originally DRM was only available for WMV. also recently i reviewed a site that showed another problem - their DRM company went down (or i couldn't get there from here for some reason) and i was unable to play their videos till the next day.

i would imagine that any members who join and can't watch the videos will be cancelling and refunding the same night.

I have a client protecting exclusive content using DRM. Yes, Patti, you are correct, DRM is only available on wmv files. And yes, if the authentication server goes down then your members can be screwed until it comes back up.

The way it works is the video itself is protected by a DRM key so when you play the video, it checks to see if you already have a session with a valid license key (licenses are generally valid for 24 to 48 hours and are stored encoded by WMP). If you do not, then the user is prompted with a login box. The user then enters his login information for the site, the DRM software verifies against the current .htpasswd file and allows or denies it based on the membership status code received.

The main problem with DRM is that not everyone uses it, so surfers get pissy when they download a video and 2 weeks later when they are no longer a member they can no longer play the video. Or when they download a video, disconnect from the internet and then try to play the video for the first time. My client had to lower his monthly fee in order to compensate for this inconvenience, plus he put up a huge warning on his join page that stated they use DRM and what that meant to the surfer.

And yes, DRM can be broken, there are several hacks available that will chew away at the video using brute force until the right key is found. This may take a day to break per video, but honestly its amazing how much time these hackers will invest into a project like this in order to save $25 on a membership.

Hope this info helps! If you want further details please ask

cheers,
    Luke

luke - that was a great and informative post. i hope people read the entire thing as it answers a lot of questions.

thanks!