Thread: I need HEEEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPP!

kcwebwerks

I need HEEEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPP!

I need a high tech computer guru! I just replaced my router and now my network isn't working. I've run the XP network wizard and no luck. I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff.

Can anyone help?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Make sure you have installed the router properly.

We changed our a few months back and all of the IPs changed, once we fixed that, they worked properly again

Another tip that might save you time in the future is to buy some liquid paper to mark which wire goes in to which port on the router, we have 5 machines plus 2 printers connected to ours and it really is a time saver :thumbsup:

Regards,

Lee

CorbinFisher.com CorbinFisher_BD's Avatar
    Ya know I had a problem with what I believed to be my Linksys wireless access point about a week ago. It was 3am and I called up Linksys tech support. Within 10 minutes of being on the phone with the tech support guy, he'd figured it out that it was the router that was the problem and not the actual wireless access point, he walked me through fixing it, and now my wireless internet works better than it ever had before.

so if your router is Linksys, why not try givin them a buzz?

CorbinFisher's Amateur College Men

kcwebwerks
    Quote Originally Posted by CorbinFisher_BD
    Ya know I had a problem with what I believed to be my Linksys wireless access point about a week ago. It was 3am and I called up Linksys tech support. Within 10 minutes of being on the phone with the tech support guy, he'd figured it out that it was the router that was the problem and not the actual wireless access point, he walked me through fixing it, and now my wireless internet works better than it ever had before.

so if your router is Linksys, why not try givin them a buzz?
    Thats what my other router was. The new one is a D-Link. I called them and was told that it was a microsoft issue and to go to wowm.com. It looks like a great resource site, as long as you can understand the verbage .

Quote Originally Posted by kcwebwerks
    Thats what my other router was. The new one is a D-Link. I called them and was told that it was a microsoft issue and to go to wowm.com. It looks like a great resource site, as long as you can understand the verbage .
    hrm. Never used any of their hardware before.

They wouldn't walk you through the site? bastards. . If they "know" it's a Microsoft issue, then they should know how to resolve it so that their hardware is compatible with your (and near everyone elses) MS OS.

Does the place you bought it from offer up any tech support?

Where's chip from boyfunk? He's good at this kinda stuff hehe.

chip boyfunk boyfunk chip boyfunk boyfunk boyfunk.

that oughta get his boardtracker workin =P

though I could just IM him...

kcwebwerks
    Quote Originally Posted by CorbinFisher_BD
    Where's chip from boyfunk? He's good at this kinda stuff hehe.

chip boyfunk boyfunk chip boyfunk boyfunk boyfunk.

that oughta get his boardtracker workin =P

though I could just IM him...
    LOL if that doesn't get his attention, I don't know what would.

As far as support from the retailer. I bought the router at Target.

I got a d-link DI-524 wireless router, its great. On my model I had to go to http://192.168.0.1 to set up the variables which was pretty much a matter of accepting the defaults and entering a password. Did you do that?

cheers,
    Luke

kcwebwerks
    Well I fixed the problem for now. I am running a trial for a program called "Network Magic". I've got 14-days to decide if I like it and then I can buy it for 39.95. Not a bad price if it works I guess.

kcwebwerks
    Luke is a God! Well at least he's really good with computers.

thanks a bunch Luke!

desslock
    Hey Ken

When I need to figure out anything regarding my own computers and web stuff here at my apartment, I always lean on O'Reilly books. Consider getting this, in fact I may get it myself:

Home Networking : The Missing Manual

The reader feedback on the book all looks pretty beneficial to me.

Good luck! Steve

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I've had Dlink routers, their tech support is usually pretty good, so perhaps calling back and pleading igonrance might get you somebody else that would be more helpful.

You shouldn't have to pay $40 for a piece of software to make your network work. My guess is there are two issues at play here

-- If your individual machines can't talk to each other, in addition to configuring the router as Luke said, you may need to tell the computers that their IP addresses have changed. From an XP or 2000 machine, you go start|run and then type "command" which will open up a DOS window. Then type "IPCONFIG /RELEASE and that will dump the old IP address associated with that computer. Then type IPCONFIG /RENEW and that will force the computer to request a new IP address from the router. You'll need to do this for each machine on the network.

-- Also make sure that each machine is talking to the same network. The default is MSHOME, and your networking wizard should have taken care of that, but you can double check by looking in the "system" icon of the control panel directory. Likewise, the router also needs to be part of the same network, so if it's not set to "MSHOME" that could be causing a problem as well.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by kcwebwerks
    Luke is a God! Well at least he's really good with computers.

thanks a bunch Luke!
    Sure thing, mate! It was my pleasure to help out.

ps, I now have a bed but the dining table never showed up LOL!!!

cheers,
    Luke

kcwebwerks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilihost
    Sure thing, mate! It was my pleasure to help out.

ps, I now have a bed but the dining table never showed up LOL!!!

cheers,
    Luke

Well I guess you can always have thanksgiving dinner in bed. That way when you've stuffed yourself full of turkey you can just roll over in the cranberry sauce and grab a nap.