Thread: Would You 'Pay' For Access To A Webmaster Resource Site?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Would You 'Pay' For Access To A Webmaster Resource Site?

Just wondered how many of you folks would actually pay to access a resource site, such as GWW every year?

Actually, a better question, would you pay for the information you could find for free on any of the good webmaster resource sites or communities?

I know that Ynot wrote their CD thing a few months back and it seemed to do quite well for them but, now i see that Klixxx has also launched a pay service which, from what i can see on the site, really only lists the information that many of us can find for free on pretty much any of the resources out there, including GWW.

So what are your thoughts on this new business practice? Is paying for the kind of knowledge you can find anywhere a good business practice or, is it just taking advantage of those webmasters who dont know any better?

If webmasters are going to start paying for the sort of stuff we hand out for free on GWW every day, i might have to start charging you all to read the community forums, seems we may be missing out on a revenue stream LOL

Regards,

Lee

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Simple answer for me is a resounding NO!

There are literally thousands of sites charging for supposed webmaster resources, help, etc and frankly, as much as they might be excellent venues, when you charge, you rarely get a diversity of opinion as you do in free communities such as this one.

Secondly, you get real dialogue among people, not always pleasent but at least its real. Free allows for more open discussion & disagreements, so as a webmaster, I can better gauge which way to go, which route to follow.

Thirdly, by being a paid resource, there is no true community. Think about it, about how people come here with diverse backgrounds, diverse experiences, and are able to share it, not for money, but out of simple fellowship. To me that type of advice is always golden, and more valid than opinions generated from having a bottom line behind the scenes.

So, Not for me. I'd not pay, and not just because I am cheap, but because I simply wouldn't be comfortable in expressing opinions where peoples income might be effected by my responses.

I walk my own path, but I have no problem putting out there what I do, how I do it, and if it works for others great, if not, well I have always maintained it is my opinion. Besides, my time is valuable to me, I want to share my limited knowledge and gain more knowledge from as wide a source as possible, paid inclusions limit that too much.

Ian
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

considering the amount of money most industry magazines, boards and resource sites get for advertising programs, i say fuck them!

remember when klixxx tried to get us to pay for their print mag a couple years ago - as if the prices for print mag advertising aren't based on number of subscriptions which is WHY the mags are free in many cases...

I'd have to say no... I agree with what was said here about Diversity. I hadn't really thought about that until I read it. But, it's very true. Open access to resources like GWW is literally what makes it so useful.

Unless those sites can offer some sort of resource that's not readily available, possibly then, a premium may be warranted.

Let GWW be free Lee! Hehe... It's perfect this way, LOL! :-)

BrianDN

Soonnow
    But you could prbably create a sort of "trade union" for adulters
    - with lawyer and tech help.
    - hosting and networking facilities
    - payment processing
    - associated models, photographers and graphics people
    - content exchange
    and ofcourse forums, faqs and ressource listings like those here.

But I fear, it would be up hill and very expensive to get the ball roling on something like that...

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soonnow
    But you could prbably create a sort of "trade union" for adulters
    - with lawyer and tech help.
    - hosting and networking facilities
    - payment processing
    - associated models, photographers and graphics people
    - content exchange
    and ofcourse forums, faqs and ressource listings like those here.

But I fear, it would be up hill and very expensive to get the ball roling on something like that...
    it sounds good though! :thumbsup:

jim

dalimili
    If it had resources that I would not be able to find anywhere else, I'd pay small fee... otherwise I don't see any reason for paying

Paco
    No, I would not pay for access to a web master resource site - I rarely visit sites for their resources. However IF (and that's a big if) I did find a need to pay for a subscription, to a resource site, it would only be to a site/mag which did not contain ANY advertisements, what-so-ever ! (I am simply repulsed by paid subscription which contains ads... it is as insulting as movies containing commercials!)

Since the advent of the net, I slowly purchased less and less publications/magazines, as well I have eliminated the free publications being delivered to my home.

Regarding a 'trade union'... HAH, I'd never join the band of thieves (a union) !

Would the 'union' be fully responsible or 100% accountable for information provided which caused a problem (hypothetical)?
    Highly unlikely... more like NOT!

robin
    No forums and similar type sites I do not and will not pay for.

Marketing info I do pay for on occassion (books, cd's, dvds, magazines, ebooks).

I would gladly join a resource site if it offered something worth joining. But it has to be something that I need and cannot easily get elsewhere.

cheers,
    Luke

Any decent man you ever get is gonna find out you're half dyke and RUN.
    I wouldn't pay for it, no. Especially since you said I could find it for free elsewhere. Would the advantage be its just consolidated all in one place and presented nicely? Don't think I'd pay for it then either

Did someone say cocktail? steven619's Avatar

yes but no

Lee,

We all tend to forget the hours and hours you and others but into this board.
    We forget the cost for the bandwidth, server space, backup, softeware tools and the day to day tasks.

If I was queen of the internet I would offer both.

Give free access to those that just need general access.
    I would even suggest that the content and access to today's gaywebmaster.com would continue to be free.

But start to add "value" and services for a fee.
    Add tools and resources that such as real tutorials, web conference, and items like this that would cost the board money but add real value to those that pay for access.

Say that you have a 30 minute online webconference or turtorial about building and marketing TPG. Get an expert (non-sales) to be the leader and post it on the paid area. Perhaps after 6 months you can release that to the free area.

Or...

Allow more banenrs ads on the site and get sponcers.
    There are lots or providers that would pay for banners ads including myself.

Though this board is helpful to everyone there is a point that it needs to at least break even for it to continue. Evenone that has even one site understands the time and cost of keeping a site up and acitve. ( I hope)

Steven
    Steven: 619-269-7442 x401
    Red Apple Media
    Hosting, Development, and video Streaming
    San Diego, CA
    Home PageFacebook