Thread: Getting listed at dmoz?!!

dalimili

Getting listed at dmoz?!!

It's seems almost impossible unless you know an administrator there... or if you are not Kev's Cave... god, he has some 60 sites listed there... in one subcategory he has 14 of 21 listed sites!!

How can one get listed one site at least?

Any opinions, experiences...?

i've never gotten a site listed at dmoz. maybe a friend of kev's is the editor for the categories...

Jesus was never married, ran around with twelve guys, and was betrayed by a kiss from another guy. Lippi's Avatar
    Well, for our 'flagship' originalboys.com it took about 2 years to get listed there. You need to have patience or simply luck.
    Have a nice day,
    Lippi :morning:

www.thebestboys.com

I don't really see the need to fret over DMOZ. I submitted menwithcams.com 5 years ago, got listed and I can probably put all the traffic from it into a teacup.

I think it was the starting point for a lot of search engine databases, but it seems that now they are pretty much inconsequential.

joneze
    Quote Originally Posted by Lippi
    You need to have patience or simply luck.
    It's the luck of the draw from what I can tell.
    They always do seem to take care of themselfs though.

desslock
    If you create a worthwile, useful site then sooner or later you will get picked up in directories like DMOZ. There are lots of benefits to these listings, perhaps the least of which is specific clickthrough traffic from the actual directory itself.

Although it is not considered as relevant in the current Google, it helps for your site to have others pointing to it. Also, lots of people may not use DMOZ, but people who are building sites or blogging or looking for encyclopedia lists of relevant material visit sites like DMOZ for a quick index of specific subjects. They in turn will include your site on theirs, mostly because they saw it on DMOZ, which gives you even more exposure.

I have tried designing and submitting websites. website areas, and stores to the directories, and more often than not they get ignored. Then other sites or pages which I didn't consider submitting get listed.

So build a good and attractive fish, and sooner or later a fishhook will come around.

For example, my cooking site's recipe for Pineapple Upside Down Cake was added one day out of nowhere. Then Yahoo saw that and added it to their directory. Now I rank number one in the search engines for Pineapple Upside Down Cake, and its now a very busy webpage.

So don't underestimate the power of these directories.

Steve

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    You know, its got to be said that ive never really had many problems getting listed in Dmoz, the last site i submitted was actually listed in under a week.

The 'key' to getting accepted is figuring out which of the sections have active editors and, making sure the sites you submit are relevant to those categories, even if they arent

Regards,

Lee