Thread: What a fabulous day !

Paco

What a fabulous day !

Not only am I happy because the weekend is here, and once again I am off to the mountains to ski, but more so because of all the GR8 news:

1).
    Shop owner beats Coke, wins antitrust ruling
    Associated Press
    By MARK STEVENSON

MEXICO CITY -- Mexico has imposed anti-monopoly fines of about $68 million against a Coca-Cola Co. subsidiary and dozens of distributors and bottlers, largely due to a three-year battle waged by one woman who got tired of being told what to sell at her one-room store in an impoverished Mexico City neighborhood.

Raquel Chavez's victory resulted in fines of at least $15 million, according to legal documents provided to The Associated Press by the plaintiffs. That was quickly followed by a $53 million fine in a similar case brought by rival PepsiCo Inc., according to a spokesman for the Federal Competition Commission who was not authorized to give his name, but confirmed both amounts Tuesday.

2).
    Citizen Black facing new trial
    NEWS ANALYSIS
    By Diane Brady
    The embattled newspaper magnate is charged with wire and mail fraud. Can U.S. prosecutors get him down from Canada for trial?

When it comes to legal battles, Conrad Black draws no quarter. Just hours before being indicted on Nov. 17 on criminal charges, the former chairman and CEO of Chicago-based Hollinger International (HLR ), which owns the Chicago Sun-Times, filed a $1.8 million libel lawsuit against a Canadian author. This was on top of a defamation lawsuit he already had filed against Hollinger. He dropped another defamation suit against a Canadian magazine earlier this year.

Now, the 61-year-old media baron and British lord has more than just his reputation to worry about. If found guilty of eight counts of wire and mail fraud, he could face up to 40 years in prison and $2 million in fines.

Paco
    Hmm... hard to believe I am the only person that enjoys the downfall of persons involved in corporate (or any form of) fraud and/or when a company gets fined when caught trying to strong-arm a 'ma & pa' store owner.