Thread: Its Official.. I Hate Encoding Movies

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Its Official.. I Hate Encoding Movies

Thankfully ive finished all 340 of the 480x360 movies that are slowly being added to the members areas and now im on to the full length DVDs for our feeds, only got about 30 of them to do LOL

Why isnt there a quicker way to do this sort of stuff other than using Sorenson? LOL

Regards,

Lee

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    There is... use Sorenson on 4 computers simultaneously We had a ton of clips to encode both for WM and for .MPEG and so I assembled several computers and just divided the clips between them. It was interesting to watch how different the encoding times were between the slower P4s and the one anemic Celeron as compared to the new Athlon 64.

But yah, it drives me crazy to sit and wait... sorta like watching a pot and waiting for it to boil.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    LOL early last week we had Sorenson running on 5 machines in the office but the problem was, it slowed down the amount of actual work we could do on those machines, thats why we purchased the dedicated machine over the weekend.

There is literally nothing on that except for Sorenson and Windows, everything else (ie, outlook, msn, the games, etc) got taken off the second it was setup.

As it stands right now, its taking about 10-11 hours to encode 10 full dvds which is definately quicker than what we had used previously i just really wish things could be sped up even more, im beginning to realize just how impatient i really am when it comes to web related stuff LOL

Regards,

Lee

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    the problem might be with sorenson's engine or your PC.

I know from personal experience that on my box Ulead Media Stuio encodes about 5 times faster than Sony Vegas. And the fault is with SOnyVegas

Did someone say cocktail? steven619's Avatar

Encoding fun

Lee,

The biggest change we did for videos was a video card (Osprey, Digital Rapids, etc). They took some of the CPU load away from the computer and would encode a 1 hour video in 1 hour.

Then if you had say..two or three different profiles it would then take about 1.5 hour.

This is all using .wmv. The hog of all files.

When you add such items as "deinterlacing" and other filters...
    Or you are taking a 5000 Kbps and brining it down to 250Kpbs. Or you are doing VBR instead of CBR it will also take more time.

Windows Encoder does a great job on most items without any cost.
    But if you are geeky enough you can get the Encoder SDK and then tweak it to take advantage of dual processors or hypertreading.

After working on encoding, building some encoding softeware packages and helping others with getting a few 100 to 1000s of videos/audios on line I now know I no nothing... <smile>

As soon as we add a feature or tweak a settings something new comes along. Then I have to go back and do it all over again.

My best suggestion.
    Get a basic encoder card from Digital Streams. Use it and then Ebay it.
    It will make life easier and your files will look a lot better.

Steven
    Steven: 619-269-7442 x401
    Red Apple Media
    Hosting, Development, and video Streaming
    San Diego, CA
    Home PageFacebook