Thread: If you're not checking your logs, you should be ...

Dzinerbear

If you're not checking your logs, you should be ...

Hey guys,

I've just learned a valuable lesson this weekend.

I've been so busy over the past three months that I haven't been able to get to my logs.

But since I was starting to submit to TGPs last week, I started making a habit of checking them every day, and as I mentioned in another post, I found a website was hotlinking to my hidden gallery images. Not all of them, just the ones where you could see the guys feet.

I check my Saturday stats, and I logged 839 hits from this freakin' site. Okay, so it's not going to break the bank, but I wonder how long this has been going on? who else is pulling crap like this that I didn't know about because I wasn't checking my logs?

So, I just wanted to remind everyone that if you're not checking your site's logs regularly, you're probably missing a lot more than how many hits or visitors you're getting.

Cheers
    Dzinerbear

Xstr8guy
    Oh yeah... noticed this too. http://www.footbuddies.com/wwwboard/messages/41364.html
    But I have .htaccess on this site, so the image shouldn't be showing, right? When I checked the site, the red x was there, so how come my stats are showing so many hits?

Also, Tyler's Room seems to be linking a lot of my stuff, but I can't find anything on his site. http://www.tylersroom.net/freegall3/set912hey40/
    Last edited by Xstr8guy; 03-09-2004 at 09:06 AM.

wsjb78
    Tyler's Site returns now a 404

gel
    I know it's frustrating to get hotlinked. I know I was the same way. In a situation like this it's best not to let it get to you. 800 something hits is nothing.

Just get your .htaccess configured and move on to making money.

Worry about it again when your making MGPs that's where hotlinking becomes a real issue.

those boards where they do nothing but hotlink are bastards, especially the asian ones (like i mentioned in the other post) cuz they get so many bloody hits and it just kills your b/w.

the footbuddies site does not show your image, if you still see it its prolly cuz its in your cache.

cheers!
    Luke