Thread: QuickTime encoding file size issue...help!

Top Cat

QuickTime encoding file size issue...help!

I am really stuck and need help from someone who, unlike me, actually knows what they are doing!

I have some files available to me as avi's or wmv's. My goal is to created hinted or "fast start" QuickTime files that are a reasonable size, meaning around the same size as the wmv files. I have worked with Premiere Pro, AVS Video Convertor, River Past Cleaner and QT Pro but always end up with huge files (or at least files twice as big as the wmv files). I have not used Discreet Cleaner which I know works great but is very expensive.

I'm sure I'm missing something and would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks!

edoggie

What codecs have you tried...

There is a number of codec options within quicktime, everything from Sorenson to H.264 for High-Def imagery, I would be curious to know which codecs you have tried within quicktime. How long are the movie clips you compressing, how big are they (720x480, 360,240, etc) and what kind of bit rate have you selected. What is the original file size of the WMV?

It would help to know these things?

Typically I think Sorenson 3 gets the best overall video quality vs. size ratio.

-Eric

I've always been openly gay. It would never occur to me to behave otherwise.
    I have a similar question.... for a vid that is 5.33 min at 14.3 MB 480 x 270 with 15 frm per sec, key frame 15 and bit rate of 350 it is taking folks with "okay connections" about 1 min 10 secs to dl. It dl totally before it begins to play. The quality is very good but the wait....well we know they don't want to wait!

Any ideas?

Alex

edoggie

Don't want to wait for download?

What video format are you using?
    If it's quicktime make sure "Fast Start" is enabled.

I've always been openly gay. It would never occur to me to behave otherwise.
    We had been using H.264 with our Quick Time files and finally got the results we needed (so many possible combinations). We are now starting on the Windows Media Player compressions to add those as well and it seems even more difficult. When the image is clear, as the camera moves, contrasting colors almost seem to go into bars. Not exactly pixilating, but not what I would want. Also, the files seem to be huge when we get them clear enough. Any ideas?