Thread: Transition from Cold Fusion

Pewit

Transition from Cold Fusion

As well as working on my own site (www.graygay.com), I also do work for a non-profit gay organisation which has a site built using Cold Fusion - mainly for database access and form processing.

I think Cold Fusion sucks and don't want to learn yet another programming/scripting launguage - it also increases the cost of hosting since the back end database is Access so we have to host on Windows :boo: .

I want to propose a lower-cost alternative that uses Open Source solutions and non-proprietory technology and can be hosted on Linux.

I have my own ideas but does anyone have suggestions and also how we might transition what we have now to the new platform?

Thanks

Paul

I really don't know the powers of cold fusion but if you are looking to manipulate databases and create online forms, then it sounds like you should be looking at php and mysql. Both are open source, linux products.

Now how you transition??? Prolly the easiest way would be to hire a php/mysql expert to rewrite your scripts and convert your data.

cheers,
    Luke

I'm a farmhand on your dad's rooster ranch. haganxy's Avatar
    unfortunately i think Luke is right. there probably isn't an "easy" way to transition from Cold Fusion to a Linux scripting language such as PHP or CGI.

the only way is to hire a programmer or do it yourself.
    hagan - IT nerd
    PrideBucks.com

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I know a number of people that have transitions applications from ColdFusion to PHP/MySQL.

ColdFusion was super popular around 98-2000, but from what I've been able to determine, it seems to have really waned in popularity in favor of other scripting language, most notably PHP.

The people I know that have transitioned seem to be universally happy with their decision, though the actual process of porting over was time consuming, requiring pretty much complete re-coding of everything.

The good news is, I think there are a *lot* more PHP programmers out there than ColdFusion programmers, so the availibility and options out there for you should be much better.