Thread: Superstar

Jason

Superstar

Last night I saw a production of Jesus Christ Superstar as is customary for the season. I've seen the show a few times before but this was by far the best production I've ever seen. All the costuming was modern (roman soldiers in swat uniforms...apostles in jeans...etc). Aside from that...every man in this show was drop-fucking-dead gorgeous. I'm still wiping the drool off my chin.

I got to be front row center and was so taken in by the show I felt I was really in it. The talent was amazing. Sorry, I just had to talk about it a bit.

Who here likes plays/operrettas/musicals etc....and what are some of your favorites?

Ounique
    I have to admit. I love Into The Woods. It's so twisted. LOL!

Jasun
    I just saw a production of "Night of the Living Dead... The Musical".

Funny.

fucked up, but funny.

Jason
    that's fuckin funny!

i saw grease in NYC once starring Jon Secada as Danny Zuko...Jon was fuckin hot and sang tremendously...but he couldn't dance or act very well. there's just something wrong with putting Danny Zuko in the back of all the big dance numbers

Ounique
    Originally posted by Jasun
    I just saw a production of "Night of the Living Dead... The Musical".

Funny.

fucked up, but funny.
    Was it done by a group called "Squonk Opera"? They did it in Pittsburgh some years ago. But it was called "Night Of The Living Dead - The Opera". Fuckin' brilliant!!! It played for two weeks and I saw it three times.

Think the best stage production I've seen so far was "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" - with "Death of a Salesman" close on its heels. I have seen a live production of Jesus Christ Superstar ... and it was also a totally fun experience! Another awesome one was "The King and I" ... oh, and "Fiddler on the Roof".

I really miss live theatre ... I should try to hit the Playhouse Theatre here more often. I went to tons of shows when I lived in Akron, there's an excellent theatre group in the Valley, and I had a season pass. Plus there are a number of live productions put on by Kent State at the outdoor theatre at Blossom Music Center. (that's where I saw the Jesus Christ Superstar).

At one point in my life, I was trying to double major at college in Arts and Theatre with the hopes of becoming a still photographer for theatre/film production. Didn't get there beyond doing some promotional sets for a local dinner theatre through my own studio - but I still have a deep love for live theatre.

BDBionic
    On the topic of deranged musicals I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street yet.
    I fell in love with it when I saw the it at the Royal National Theatre in London many years ago.
    For those of you unfamiliar with the story of Sweeney Todd, it's about a barber that escapes from prison in Australia after being framed for a crime he never committed by an evil judge and returns to London, where he seeks out revenge against the judge.
    In the meantime, to get some practice and make a living before he gets to kill the judge, he conspires with a lady friend to slit the throats of his barbershop customers, their dead bodies then being sent downstairs where the lady bakes them in to meat pies and sells them to her pie shop customers.

And there's plenty of twists and turns throughout the play, as well. Sondheim's best work, if ya ask me.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers dirtygeek's Avatar
    Ok, maybe I'm a little more old fashion with what I like, but I do love Pirates of Panzants, Phantom of the Opera, and some Chinese opera.
    You'll get more with a kind word and a 2 by 4 then you'll get with just a kind word.

Stunner Media Presents 8 great programs:
    IndieBucks | StandAhead | BoyCrushCash | Phoenixxx | <a href="http://hunkmoney.com/">Hunk Money</a> | <a href="http://nats.britishbucks.com/">British Bucks</a> | <a href="http://nats4.emoprofits.com/">Emo Profits</a> | <a href="http://latinobucks.com/">Latino Bucks</a>