Thread: Video techs..input needed!

Slade

Video techs..input needed!

I've gotten a few vids from some folks who encoded them in .mp4 format.
    Now..this format is driving me crazy cuz it appears to be a true bastardization of the old mpeg/divx codec. And, I (so far) cannot find ANY software that will convert these .mp4s into anything else. (most specifically into wmvs).

So..if you know of a program that DOES convert .mp4 vid clips..would sure like to know what it is. Thanks much!

Slade
    Anyone??

Takemytaco

i just converted a video to mp4, then successfully converted it to wmv in sorenson and vegas. there are a couple inexpensive versions of vegas, so you could try a trial...

Slade
    Quote Originally Posted by Takemytaco

Thanks for the tip! Totally overlooked riverpast..trying to encode it now.

Slade
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    i just converted a video to mp4, then successfully converted it to wmv in sorenson and vegas. there are a couple inexpensive versions of vegas, so you could try a trial...
    Yeah..I've been working with Vegas for the last 5 years now. Have the latest version and everything. The last time I checked, Sony said they did not support the mpeg-4 codec..and ironically, I cannot get the video part to load (only the audio). So, you know WHICH specific codec you were using to make the mp4 file?

Slade
    Quote Originally Posted by Takemytaco
    Hmm..ran into the same problem with riverpast that I have with other encoders..it either doesn't load, or in this case..weirdly enuf, the .mp4 file loaded and started to encode..and then riverpast crashed.

I'm starting to suspect this is a "hacked" codec that someone used, and thus regular encoders won't work on.

Oh well..back to the source to find out. Thanks again though!

Xstr8guy
    Try VirtualDubMod http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net/. It's a no longer updated open source project but it converts just about anything to anything as long as you have the codecs installed.

And where is Jigg? He always knows the coolest shareware programs.