Thread: UF Giving Benefits To Domestic Partners But...

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

UF Giving Benefits To Domestic Partners But...

(Gainesville, Florida) Some employees of the University of Florida are balking at a provision in the school's health care plan for the domestic partners of its workers.

Last month the university became the state's only public university to approve a benefits plan for its partnered unmarried workers. (story) The plan is scheduled to go into effect in February.

Married employees have long been able to insure their spouses.

But now as details of the program are being rolled out a number of gay and lesbian employees are discovering a provision asks unmarried couples to sign an affidavit swearing they are in a sexual relationship.

Although most gay and lesbian workers say they don't mind the question, a number of employees say it is discriminatory because the issue of sex is not put to married couples applying for inclusion in the benefits program.

Responding to questions about the provision UF's vice president of human resources, Kyle Cavanaugh, said that the question is being asked to ensure that only domestic partners and not roommates or siblings attempt to register.

Cavanaugh said that the affidavit only asks enrollees to affirm they "have been in a non-platonic relationship for the preceding 12 months."

Some UF senators said the question is pointless. One, Marylou Behnke, who represents the College of Medicine called it "offensive,." suggesting the university would have go into couples bedrooms to ensure they were not lying.

"Are you going to police it?" Behnke asked Cavanaugh.

After fielding several other questions from senators Cavanaugh said that the university may consider modifying the wording.

In addition to the question affirming a couples are in a sexual relationship, they must show they cohabitate and have share financial obligations.

Following the university's announcement that it would begin offering the health insurance plan a Republican lawmaker announced legislation to block state universities and community colleges from using taxpayer's money for same-sex domestic partner benefits. (story)

Rep. Larry Cretul said his bill would not prevent the schools from using private funds to pay for the benefits.

http://www.365gay.com/Newscon06/01/012006uFla.htm

LOL I really dont know if this is funny or insulting.

On one hand, you can just see everyone showing up for work with videos and pics of them and their partners in a range of sexual acts to prove that they are in fact gay and, on the other hand, it stinks of discrimination.

What are your thoughts?

Regards,

Lee

i have mixed feelings on this. on the one hand, i feel like gay or str8 couples shouldn't have to PROVE that they're partners.

on the other hand, i knew 2 guys locally whose gym gave favorable rates to couples. they held a wedding and went through this entire thing so they'd get great gym rates and a couple other benefits and they were only roommates, so i can see why companies would require this.

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    When I got benefits via my boyfriend's company they asked for my SSN and that we have a joint bank account