Thread: What's in a name? 12 Million Dollars ...

What's in a name? 12 Million Dollars ...

SAN FRANCISCO - Sex.com, long coveted as potentially one of the most lucrative sites on the Web because of its catchy name, has been sold for about $12 million in cash and stock, a source familiar with the deal said Monday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11003872 for the full story.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Damn,

5 years ago he was getting offers of $45 million+ for the domain, i guess times really have changed :eek:

Regards,

Lee

Yea, I was surprised as well, I figured it would go for double that amount.

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    congradulations to the new owners! , though i hope you really plan on developing that site , otherwise it's just another 8 million for a 30 second p*psi commercial.

sincerely ..."how do your plans go for world domination?"... - the belle stars

What are you doing with my blanket? Dick Hunter's Avatar
    I wonder how much Sex.com currently gererates in a month? 12 million seems like a good deal to me. What's weird is that he's moving his Pay-per-click biz to Sex.net. But doesn't the traffic come from Sex.com? I'm not sure how many people type in Sex.net, but I doubt it's enough to drive a PPC SE. I can only assume he plans on getting traffic from other sources, like advertsing. God know he can afford it!
    Shaun aka Bear aka Dick Hunter

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hunter
    God know he can afford it!
    You'd be suprised actually

From what i gather, Gary still has outstanding legal bills and i beleive i read somewhere a month or two back that he was tangled up in another lawsuit started by his own attorneys for additional revenues and breach of contract surrounding the sex.com case.

I really dont see sex.net being anything more than your regular .net domain name unless Grant Media can pull a cat out of the bag and actually get webmasters sending traffic to them but, imho, there are far better places for webmasters to send their traffic, certainly at the present time.

Regards,

Lee

Fetishlady
    wow...if it's worth $45M before then it means the adult industry has changed a lot since then.

well, goodluck to the new owner of sex.com