Thread: How should GayWebmasters.com give away $5000?

What are you doing with my blanket? Dick Hunter's Avatar

I Wonder? How should GayWebmasters.com give away $5000?

I've recently launched GayWebmasters.com which is an online community for, you guessed it - Gay Webmasters. It features a blog, forums, a directory and news feeds. As part of the launch, I'm giving away $1000 a month until June. I've been trying to work out a system of choosing the winner that's based on the close of the Nasdaq on a certain day. I recall Adult.com doing something similiar years ago, which is where I got the idea. Here's what I've got so far:

Every member of GW has a member id, starting with 1 (me of course) and currently going up to 54. Let say by Feb 1st there are 105 members. So using that order, I could then exclude the people who aren't eligble (you have to post something to the site to be eligible), and re-order from 1 to whatever. So say we've now got 103 people eligble, numbered 1 - 103. That list could be posted prior to the close of the market. The closing number is four digits and two decimals, for instance 2301.81.

Using that as a base, first, let's use Nasdaq since that's more fitting. Now to choose the winner, we could take the first three numbers starting all the way from the right. In this case (2301.81) it would be 181. No one would have that number, so next we'd move one digit over and use 018. Then we'd have the winner, whover had entry 018. Assuming we still didn't have a winner, we could then add the amount the market increased, or subtract the amount it decreased. We wouldn't want to move over another decimal because that's not random. So for today, it went up 22.17, so the new number would be 2323.98. We'd try 398, then 239. Still no dice so we add 22.17 again and try the new numbers, and so on. If somehow we end up in an infinite loop, then it's held over until the next day.

Pretty complicated, but I beleive it would to the trick. Here's another suggestion from a similiar thread on Ynot:

propdoc wrote:

Take the Dow (or nasdaq) closing number. Today it was 10880.71 Take the last 4 numbers and convert them to letters, using A=1...Z=26, ignore 0s. In this case 8=H, zero=nothing, 7=G, 1=A. 1s and 2s in the first 3 count towards extending the number to two digits, as would a 1 or 2 in the fifth digit. If the closing number had been 180.71 then
    18=R, ignore zero, 7=G, 1=A. Find the member name that is closest. Start with HG, then HGA if needed. Use the "Price is Right" of closest without going over. HA would beat HH.

I'm not crazy about that one, since it seems like it would be harder to script out.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Only one week before the first drawing. :-)
    Shaun aka Bear aka Dick Hunter

or you can just put all the names in a hat and draw one of them!!! k.i.s.s.

cheers,
    Luke

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Pick a post # and let whoever makes that post win.

Its easier plus, it will give you an idea of how fast GW is growing

I know nothing about running webmaster communities though, so do with my suggestion what you will

Regards,

Lee

Chilihost, that was my original plan, but then I realized that I've got relationships with a lot of the members. I'd hate for people to be suspicous if a friend one, or if the same person won mulitple months. Plus there's always that one person that has to be a total pain in the ass. So I rather it be based on something outside my control.

Lee, that's a good idea, but it doesn't fit with the official contest rules, which state you need to post at least one blog entry, forum post, or directory listing to be eligible. That means the people who have already posted need to be included even if they never post again. I do value your feedback immensly though, since obviously you know what you're talking about when it come to gay webmaster resources. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hunter
    That means the people who have already posted need to be included even if they never post again.
    See and therein lays the problem.

If *I* were to go to http://www.gaywebmasters.com create 1 forum post, 1 blog entry and 1 directory listing then never come back, *I* shouldnt be eligable to win anything from you because, in all honesty, ive done nothing of use to you in growing the site further.

You need to be adjusting your contest rules to state that members have to have been active at least 1 month prior to the winner being chosen, otherwise, you'll never grow the site further than where it is at now.

Take a look at our contest rules for the 125000th post contest where 1 of our community members can win over $7000 in cash and prizes, we're very specific about the requirements that the winner has to meet.

Regards,

Lee

Thanks for the feedback! Just for the record, a couple corrections:

• It's GayWebmasters.com. I assume that was a typo, since you own GayWebmaster.com. BTW, I hope you enjoy my typo traffic. :-)
    • You only need to post a blog entry, forum post, OR directory listing. Not all three.

Where might I find those rules for your contest?

vegasonesource
    Personally, I agree that it should be those that contribute to the board and not just consider a spammer who signed on one time and posted his site to promote it.

Reward those who are rewarding you by providing content to your site.

My 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hunter
    Thanks for the feedback! Just for the record, a couple corrections:

• It's GayWebmasters.com. I assume that was a typo, since you own GayWebmaster.com. BTW, I hope you enjoy my typo traffic. :-)
    • You only need to post a blog entry, forum post, OR directory listing. Not all three.

Where might I find those rules for your contest?
    Shaun, fixed that typo

Ah i thought it was one of each, my bad.

You can find our contest rules here..

http://forums.gaywidewebmasters.com/...ad.php?t=14571

Hope that helps

Regards,

Lee