Thread: Encoding WMV and Quicktime Vids

blah blah blah...

Encoding WMV and Quicktime Vids

Hey guys...just some questions re encoding for streaming and downloadable vids...

When it comes to WMV vids, does it really matter what version (7, 8, or 9) you use? will most members be able to stream and download all three versions? Is there one that's preferred?

When it comes to Quicktime vids, some people had a problem streaming the vids (http://forums.gaywidewebmasters.com/...d.php?t=14710). What can i do so that people could stream quicktime vids?

Thanks in advance,

- allan

when i used wmv 9, several people on this very board couldn't see my videos. anytime you use the newest codecs, some people won't have them.

blah blah blah...
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    when i used wmv 9, several people on this very board couldn't see my videos. anytime you use the newest codecs, some people won't have them.
    so in the worst case scenario, i guess i could just as them to go and download the newest version of Windows Media Player. That would solve the problem, right? Thanks

while that's true theoretically, a lot of people won't want to download anything.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    we've been using WMV9 for about a year, and we do get a handful of people complaining they can't see the video (the sound still plays). We have an auto-answer bot as part of our ticket system that gives people instructions on how to upgrade to WM9, and while I agree with Patti that some people will bitch and/or won't want to upgrade, Micro$oft eventually forces you to anyway, so I think most of those folks are in the minority.

I've found that WM9 seems to have noticeably better video quality for the same file size when compared to 8 or 7 (or, conversely, much smaller file size for the same quality as WM8 or WM7), so, depending on your particular members/surfers, I'd say if you can encode in 9, and your customers don't scream, that would be the best way to go.

Slade
    Quote Originally Posted by boyfunk
    I've found that WM9 seems to have noticeably better video quality for the same file size when compared to 8 or 7 (or, conversely, much smaller file size for the same quality as WM8 or WM7), so, depending on your particular members/surfers, I'd say if you can encode in 9, and your customers don't scream, that would be the best way to go.
    And that is the reason to go with wm9..the quality of this codec vastly outshines all the older codecs. Yeah..so a few complain..direct them to get the new codec off of MS..it's easy and free to do.

MOST of your members will thank you and keep comming back because wm9 gives you vastly superior quality videos (at smaller file size too)!