Thread: Do You Monitor Your Sites Bandwidth?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Do You Monitor Your Sites Bandwidth?

So i just found out that one of our hosts have removed the feature in our stats that tells us how much bandwidth our servers are using on an individual basis because some of their clients were using the stats reported as their monthly statement, instead of what they were actually supposed to be paying which made me think, how often do we actually monitor our sites bandwidth usage and, are there any software packages that can assist us in doing this?

Im going to need to get something installed to keep a better look at how much BW we're burning each month so wondered if you folks were using anything at the moment that will let you know how much BW you use on a per domain / server basis?

Regards,

Lee

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Report Magic is what my host has which is really minimal but it does generate bandwidth used per domain... and if memory is right, so does awstats when they analyise the logs... so i would assume would any good quality stat program.

Other than that I think I saw a script on one of those script sites... can't recall but i'll check to see if I still have the name..
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

JustBryce
    I think most stats packages will give you an idea per domain. I know Urchin does for sure. But, these are measured in GB downloaded and if you have a lot of domains, its a PITA.

Most hosts bill based on 95th percentile in mbps (a running average clipping off the top 5% of spikes). If you have a dedicated server or multiple dedicated servers then I would absolutly insist on having an MRTG made available to you that shows your real throughput.

i check by domain and the overall usage. i check in depth on anything that stands out.

control panels (cpanel / plesk / webmin / etc) will give you a bandwidth breakdown by site, so will stats packages like webalizer and awstats. If you want stats on a dedicated server you can get MRTG installed (although it does take up a lot of processing time so its not highly recommended). Why not ask your hosting company to help you on this one? If you are buying a package that includes a bandwidth limit, they have to be recording this info somehow.

cheers,
    Luke