Thread: WTF? Earthlink Has Screwed One Of My Clients..

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

WTF? Earthlink Has Screwed One Of My Clients..

So ive been working with a mortgage client for the past few weeks on getting their website up and running, everything was fine and we were ready to upload their site...

So a couple of day ago i try to FTP in to the clients webspace to be told that my login didnt work, no problems, was probably a typo.

I email the client and asked them to confirm the login information and, yes, they were correct. I then asked them to provide me with their main information and, again, no FTP access was granted.

So a couple of days go by and i hear back from the client today that Earthlink DOESNT provide FTP access for their clients, instead, they get access to a 'web based' upload tool.

So earlier today i went to upload their site using this tool and, guess what... That is ALL you can do, upload stuff, so a few phone calls later and Earthlink turns around and says they cant give this client ftp access to their webspace, which they are paying for, is this normal?

I mean surely, there has to be a method of saving the html pages, scripts and databases being used on the site at the moment? It certainly doesnt appear that way which means this client is going to have wasted $1k for my time plus the cost of design work and if they decide to use the design, they'll have lost their entire online client database :eek:

Regards,

Lee

maxpower
    Maybe this is a stupid question but hosting companies are a dime a dozen why not change hosts and tell earthlink what the can do with themselves. You should be able to transfer everything on that domain, either from earthlink or the files he has on his hard drive

maxpower
    If its a huge amount of data I have even mailed a hard drive to a hosting company so they could do a direct transfer.

Camper than a row of tents
    Without FTP access the only way to get the files is if they mail you a CDR, and your luck with that probably depends on who you can get on the phone.

If they refuse, contact whoever made the original site. They should still have a copy of the scripts.

The database is another issue. If you don't know the field names and stuff then you'll have to do manual data entry into a new database.
    I post here to whore this sig.