Thread: Running a dedicated server.

I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of vaginas. They bother me in the way that spiders bother some people. Huskyhunks's Avatar

Running a dedicated server.

I've been using a shared host, Acceleratedweb for years now and have had great service with them. I used less than 20 gigs a month of bandwith and shared made sense. Now I'm using many times that (approx 200 gigs now) and need to change to a dedicated situation.

I have used EV1 before. I set up my dns, was my own webhost, the Plesk panel was very intuitive but what I'm wondering is how complicated is the everyday maintenance, and more specifically, what kind of problems am I likely to encounter ?

Also, is there a way to "preload" a site before a nameserver change is made ?

Thanks for your input.
    Artist/Painter and Webmaster of Huskyhunks.com.

desslock
    I'm just curious - you mean you want to have your own web server running at your place? That's what I do.... I have a t1 coming into my apartment and a compter with Windows Server and IIS.

Steve

I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of vaginas. They bother me in the way that spiders bother some people. Huskyhunks's Avatar
    Hi,

No I was thinking about going with a server from EV1. Not my own setup at my own place. Just the standard dedicated server that most of you use now.

C.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    You'll get a much better deal by using a dedicated server at a place like EV1 than if you get a T1. You'll also be able to handle a much larger burst of traffic... we sometimes burst as much as 20-25 MBits of bandwidth, the equivalent of about 15 T1s, and we'd never be able to afford that much bandwidth if we were buying it dedicated in our own facility.

The main issues are maintenance, security updates, that sort of thing. For the most part it -usually- doesn't require a great deal of effort or attention, and some ISPs will handle security updates for you as part of the arrangement, but when something breaks, you'd better be available 24/7 to get it back up and running again, or you'll piss off customers and affiliates.

If you're looking at EV1, I'd also take a close look at ServerMatrix.com, which is ThePlanet.com's low end division, very price competitive with EV1. I've had servers at EV1, Planet, and about a dozen other ISPs, and Planet/ServerMatrix is, hands down, the best ISP I've ever been with in terms of quality of bandwidth, responsiveness to service requests, competence of people that answer the phone, and uptime. EV1 is good too, but I've found a much higher level of incompetence among their support staff... your mileage may vary. ServerMatrix isn't taking new customers right now without a referral, but I'll be happy to make the connection for you if you decide to use them (They don't pay referral fees, I'd just do it to help you out...)

Also, consider talking to Luke at Chilihost. I know a bunch of people using him, and I think a lot of his servers are at Planet, but unless you really want to be able to dive into the innards of your box and handle all the little bullshit issues, having someone to keep an eye on things and help you out when something breaks is well worth the not-too-much-extra that it might cost.

Thanks Boyfunk,

I'm am super impressed by your post. I've learned more in your post than I have all week reading other forums and threads.

A T1 is definitely out of the question. I can't believe how much work servers have to deal with when those types of bursts try to come through the pipe. One thing that concerns me about EV1 is how "on your own" you are with them. They are pretty much hands off when it comes to support. They have great deals and are still under consideration, but knowing very little about reboots and remote server maintanence really makes me feel very vulnerable if I go with them.

I will take a look at Server Matrix. Sounds like they might be the way to go. I am also going to check out Chilihost as well. I know alot of people speak highly of both companies. A referral would be great and very nice to offer. I just have to check things out a little more before I make the decision.

Thank you again for the great post !

HuskyHunks, if you want to go unmanaged, ensure that you do your research and learn about the tasks that are involved in setting up, tweaking, securing and automating your server plus maintaining and monitoring it on an ongoing basis. Also, understand that unmanaged means they provide you with a base installation and the only other time they will touch your server is to do a reboot or reinstall the base system from scratch (check their terms, reinstalls usually cost a fee too). If you have any issues with apache, php, mysql, dns, cpanel, security, etc, its up to you to fix it. Good luck with whatever your decision!

cheers,
    Luke

zentz
    take the fully managed dedicated server and you'll be fine. no worries about anything, your host will do anything for you just like they did on a shared host except that they will probably threat your needs with more priority.

i wouldnt recommend going with an unmanaged server unless you know what you are doing. btw i had some bad experiences with server matrix in the past, hit me up before you decide to go with them.

zentz
    btw check out Webair as they are one of the best hosts in the industry and they will match or beat any other offer that you might get.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Stay away from Webair, Mike is nothing but trouble as can be witnessed here..

http://forums.gaywidewebmasters.com/...ad.php?t=10054

If you want a dedicated solution go with Chilihost or National Net.

Both companies come highly recommended as we use them both for our own stuff

Regards,

Lee

I have to share my feelings CJ-KJCash's Avatar
    I strongly recommend you talk with Luke at Chilihost. He has by far the best service I have ever received from a hosting company, and his prices are more than competitive with anything else out there.

Xstr8guy
    Chilihost, chilihost, chilihost! Luke is da bomb (do the kids still say that? ). Seriously, why go with an unmanaged server when for a few dollars more you can get Luke with the deal? He is the nicest dude ever plus he knows his shit. You'd never get that personalized service anywhere... I gurantee it.

Here is a little story to demostrate the level of service I get from Chilihost. I had a small virtual account with Luke as well as a virtual account with Oxeo and a virtual account with Candid Hosting (now Powermedium). Luke was aware that I was hosting elsewhere and never pressured me to move to Chilihost exclusively. But one day I inquired about a dedicated server since my traffic was growing. He gave me a great deal and did all of the data tranfers for me. It went so smoothly that I didn't even notice that a change had taken place. I ended up saving money and getting a dedicated server. Win-win, as they say.

Then last fall, I was in Phoenix visiting for Thanksgiving. And apparently I was getting hotlinked from a Chinese message board. Luke notice my server getting pounded so he immediately tried to notify me. But since I was out of town and not checking my email, he patched up the hole for me.

Now I would like to think that Luke just loves me... that's why i get such great service. But I suspect that he loves all of his clents as much as me.

Guys, thanks for you input. I really appreciate it.

I just experienced a big surge in memberships that is beyond what I ever expected. The affiliates are doing a great job and things are so good I really hesitate to change anything right now. I'll lose hundreds of dollars for every day that I would be down. I'm just not gonna risk that right now.

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskyhunks
    Guys, thanks for you input. I really appreciate it.

I just experienced a big surge in memberships that is beyond what I ever expected. The affiliates are doing a great job and things are so good I really hesitate to change anything right now. I'll lose hundreds of dollars for every day that I would be down. I'm just not gonna risk that right now.
    Luke can copy the files off your current server and all you have to do is change the DNS and let it resolve. The transition is seamless and there would be zero downtime. That's what he did for me and many others on GWW.

And no, Luke doesn't give me any compensation for my endorsement.