Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaving - Something We Dont Talk About That Often..

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Shaving - Something We Dont Talk About That Often..

Was curious to see what your thoughts on sponsors that shave were?

I think most of us will agree that it is wrong and shouldnt be done but, in reality, will shaving ever not exist in the industry as long as webmasters keep demanding higher payouts?

Also, how do you know whether a sponsor is shaving or not, what are some tell-tale signs that you would look for as an affiliate?

Regards,

Lee

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Dammit, and I got all excited thinking this thread was about hot guys shaving their bodies. LOL!
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

If a program has more than one of the following, I run screaming from the room:

Red Flag 1. More than 10 sites to promote
    Red Flag 2. Per Signup payouts of more than $30
    Red Flag 3. Lots of Jargon about "niches" and "high conversions"
    Red Flag 4. Console or Non Console link options

I have become jaded, I guess. I'd rather send my traffic to smaller programs or sites that truly are unique. The bigger the program, the more tricks they use.

Example--
    My historical sales with TopBucks were 1/2000+ before I pulled all the links. My historical sales with Intense Cash (since BrokeStraightBoys) is 1/300 and geting better every week.

Shaving has a lot of definitions and components. Traffic diversions, cross sells, upsells, consoles and pop-ups. Life is too short to worry about it, so I use my little test and put my traffic in good hands.

Quote Originally Posted by MWCren
    Red Flag 1. More than 10 sites to promote
    Red Flag 3. Lots of Jargon about "niches" and "high conversions"
    Red Flag 4. Console or Non Console link options
    Can i ask why?

We have 2 of those items on Condom Cash well, 3 if you take in to account our conversions although that isnt a major focus point for us because any sponsor should be able to have 'high conversions' if they did things right

Regards,

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    Can i ask why?
    I don't have 20,000 hits a day to throw at a every program available. Every click needs to count, and I've found that sending traffic to programs with original content/unique sites just works for my traffic.

The other reasons are in the original reply, I'm jaded, and get better sales ratios with smaller programs. The bigger they are, the more tricks they use, based on my experience.

We have 2 of those items on Condom Cash well, 3
    Precisely why you are not one of the sponsors I have chosen. But that doesn't mean you shave, it just means I'm more comfortable with other programs at the present time.

Cant say fairer than that

Thanks for the clarification

Regards,

Lee

rhys
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMike
    Dammit, and I got all excited thinking this thread was about hot guys shaving their bodies. LOL!

my thought exactly!

i was looking forward to seeing some hot dudes shaving.... not this boring ol' webmaster stuff

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by MWCren
    thats a good one!
    Looking at my Stats Remote now for the last few years
    Ive sold thousands of memberships and had thousands of rebills on everything from gay to straight to shemale, ethnic to facials, anal, gangbangs, grannies, etc etc and when I average everything out it comes to $20.87 a sale, and to .8 cents a click Ive made.

I just cant see $30 or $35 a sale unless theyre doing MASSIVE volume and have lots of upsells in their members area.
    Or they make it hard as fuck for their members to cancel, or give them hidden crosssells in their signup contract.
    Otherwise it doesnt match out for me

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    thats a good one!
    I just cant see $30 or $35 a sale unless theyre doing MASSIVE volume and have lots of upsells in their members area.
    Or, if it's a one-time with no rebills, they could be confident about their retention. Giving $30 on a $25 sale means I only need to rebill each customer you send me once to be making money, and If I know that 70% of my customers stay for 4-5 months (or even 3 months), then I'm totally making more money that way than if I give you 50% over the life of the membership.

When we were running our "6 month subscription gets a free DVD" promotion, we were doing about 25-30% of sales as 6 month subscriptions, so our affiliates got like $45 for each sale.

Top Cat
    Having recently launched an affiliate program, I'm interested in how other sites may use some subtle methods to shave.

For example, I know not all sites measure conversion rates from the landing page. I've heard some even measure from hits on the Join page!

I also saw one site that told webmasters that cookies were unreliable so they use session IDs instead...meaning you only get credit if a vistor signs up on the first visit!

Any other observations or experiences?

Meant to be Obscene, not Heard. HotMaleVideos's Avatar
    Only my partner gets to shave me.

I have limited traffic to send. But it's damn good quality traffic. I put a value on every click. If I'm not profiting, I stop promoting. So for me... shave at your own risk, AFAIC.

Will it ever not exist? Well, is every webmaster/program operator honest? I think that probably answers that.

Was curious to see what your thoughts on sponsors that shave were?

-----

Also, how do you know whether a sponsor is shaving or not, what are some tell-tale signs that you would look for as an affiliate?

I think sponsors that shave are dishonest scums that get off on fucking ANYBODY over for as long as they can. Sponsors that shave know they might as well put a gun in their mouth and pull the trigger if anyone found out what they were doing. I don't do business with dishonest companies, or individuals. When I find one I blacklist them.

I can tell when a sponsor shaves by clicks and conversion ratios. Certain ad spots on my site retain a tried and true click value and corresponding conversion ratios, as do particular kinds of content.

Red flags are:

1) Sites or programs with many sites running their own affiliate software
    2) High payout values
    3) Reps constantly pumping sites that don't convert well
    4) Click and/or conversion ratios that consistently don't match to ad spots on my site with steady click conversion ratios.
    5) Content and/or sites consistent with high conversions that don't convert

I tend to trust sites with third party processors that run the affiliate programs. My best conversions are almost ALWAYS with sites where the processor runs the affiliate program, except for one site.

The fraud perpetrated by surfers is bad enough, let alone having to watch our backs with affiliate sites running shady programs, but that's business.

Does anyone here favor shaving?

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt
    1) Sites or programs with many sites running their own affiliate software
    You know, THAT is the biggest turn off for me with affiliate programs.

If they are using a program that was written by them and only used by them, we have no way to know what else has been 'coded' in to the affiliate script.

Regards,

Lee

Oh and another thing i just thought off..

Sponsor who close their sites and dont bother telling affiliates about it and redirect the traffic to a different site without crediting the affiliate.

Regards,

Lee

Dzinerbear
    Well technically, shaving is not crediting a referring webmaster with a sale. That means if you have an exit console and my surfer didn't buy your site's membership, but he bought one off your exit console and I didn't get a cut - you shaved. I didn't send my traffic to Hairy Ass Fuckers so they could sell that traffic a membership to Hairy Cock Suckers, owned by someone else.

And I hate exit consoles that pop on top of the intended site.

I hear what people are saying about site owners having to manage the mechanics of $30 PPS. But in their greed to take the money and run, what most webmasters don't understand is that if you're promoting though a PPS program, you're most certainly being shaved.

One well-known program that I promote didn't seem to be doing so well in the rebill department, so I switched all my revshare codes to PPS. Suddenly my conversion rate went from 1/300 to 1/600, 1/700, and 1/800. Coincidence? Perhaps, but when I changed my codes back to revshare my conversion rates went back to what they were.

And if your sponsor is using a NATS or MPA3-type program, there's heaps of opportunities to shave. They don't call it shaving, but from the NATS demo I saw in Vegas, you can set up all kinds of perameters that result in the sponsor making as much as money as possible and the referrer not necessarily getting everything that's coming to them.

And I'm sure that as transactions fall through the cascading referral information falls away at times. If Microsoft can't make an operating system that doesn't need to be restarted and burped several times a day that cascading software doesn't hiccup occasionally.

If a sponsor is selling DVDs on their site and only giving wm's credit on memberships, that's shaving. If they have banners for other paysites, that's shaving. If they have traffic leaks to their own link lists and blogs and TGPs, that's shaving.

Absolutely 99% of sites in this business shave. It's just that we've come to accept some of the practices as benign and we've stop calling them shaving.

Cheers
    Michael