Thread: Hard Pill

On the other hand.... You have different fingers

Hard Pill

Did anyone see this movie. It was on Logo last night and I believe it made the GLBT film festivals. It's the story of a gay man who allows himself to be the gunnea pig in an experiment where he takes a drug that can turn a gay man straight by changing the chemical process of the brain.

I hate to say it but I didn't think it was a very good movie, however, it does bring up a really good subject. What if there was a pill that could make gay people straight. Would you take it? What do you think the social implications of it would be.

I would never in a million years take it and I think it could have a horrible effect on society. All these right-wing wierdo's who keep trying to say that homosexuality is a choice would now be able to say we are choosing to be gay by not taking a pill that they think could "cure" us. It's some scary stuff.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

GAYVNJeff
    I'm sorry but that is one pill I have no desire taking!

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    ..."i wouldn't change a thing!"... - kylie minogue

jim

maxpower
    If their was a pill that made people 100% str8 I would be against it just like I am against anything that interferes with sales. :boo:

robin
    What a depressing thought and movie...

No I wouldn't; just as I wouldn't allow any pysco treatment for it. Nor am I for pre-determining genetics (creating the perfect baby)...

There was a star trek episode about that years back, before it was fashionable... but to make it "safe", they reversed genders... everyone on the planet was homosexual, but this one woman was heterosexual and fell in love with Cmdr Riker... she had no interest in changing who she was, but the powers-that-be forced her in for treatment, against her will. The treatment worked completely and totally, she forgot that she'd ever had any interest in the opposite sex.

The message of the episode was extraordinarily powerful. It clearly was on the side of acceptance of individuality, and the problems when society seeks to conform the minority viewpoint to the majority, even when effective tools exist to do so without "harm" to the individual.

It's a difficult question, and I don't think the answer is black or white. For some individuals who are clearly miserable, even after years of therapy, an effective way of changing orientation (that actually worked) might be beneficial. But for the vast majority of homosexual men and women, changing sexual preference would be like changing skin color or personality or intellect... something so intrinsic that it, at least in part, defines who we are.

Paco
    That would bring a tear to Arius's eye.

WOW, the inner conflict (and hate) one must be experiencing to allow others to do that to them.

How scary!

Quote Originally Posted by boyfunk
    It's a difficult question, and I don't think the answer is black or white. For some individuals who are clearly miserable, even after years of therapy, an effective way of changing orientation (that actually worked) might be beneficial.
    I'm sorry, I totally disagree. If you are that miserable about being gay then you have deeper psychological problems. The kind of counseling one should get is not about changing who you are, but about accepting and being happy with who you are. You change things like your diet, your clothes, your outlook on life, but you don't change who you are deep inside. I have a cousin who is in a terrible relationship with a guy who cheats on him and his reasons for staying are because he thinks being gay is a sin against God and since he can't stop engaging in homosexual activities he deserves what he gets. What a load of bullshit. He's the kind of person who would take the pill. His problem is not being gay, his problem is that he hates himself. His "cure" would not be going straight because even if he were able to do it he would still hate himself and would find other reasons to be miserable.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

Paco
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMike
    His problem is not being gay, his problem is that he hates himself. His "cure" would not be going straight because even if he were able to do it he would still hate himself and would find other reasons to be miserable.
    Yup. He sounds like the type of person that simply hates himself, for not being what he is or wants to be. He is controlled by tradition or the public eye.

Many people in life are like that. I am sure we all know guys that get married and have children, yet hate their life (more importantly their choices in life and inablility to live life as they want, and not how the majoity and tradition tells them to).