Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Gay" versus "Guy" or in URL question

stickyd

"Gay" versus "Guy" or in URL question

Hi,
    I've noticed a lot of gay sites do not use the word 'gay' in their URL, and wonder if there is any thought to the pros and cons of this. We are launching a gay party site and have included the word, but wonder if it would be better to not? We are Czech, so there have little understanding to what the U.S. market would or would not like, guysexorgy or gaysexorgy etc. (these are not the URLs, only examples). Thanks for any advice!
    D

although i don't like the word "gay" used as a noun, sometimes the word gay in a domain makes it clear what kind of site it is.

obviously in a domain like cocksuckingguys.com you can figure out these guys are gay. i mean, they're sucking cocks - it's a good clue

but does guyorgy.com mean anything to you? i mean, you could assume but would you be SURE that this was a gay orgy site? on the other hand, gayorgy.com makes it pretty clear what to expect...

Dzinerbear
    One thing is for sure, and a lot of straight and Russian webmasters make this mistake, stay away from "gays." We are "gay" or "gay men," but we're not "gays." It'll be a dead giveaway that your site is not run by gay people.

Patti's prety much covered it, I guess the only thing I could say differently is this: does adding the word "gay" add clarity, meaning, or understanding, or is it just gratuitous. For instances, cock sucking sluts women.com would be gratuitous and redundant. Gay Bears.com wouldn't be gratuitous because it separates the site from black bears, teddy bears, or Care Bears.

Some words never really need the word "gay" like gay twinks. In my mind there is no other kind of twink except a gay twink. I can't ever seeing describing a young straight guy as a twink.

Cheers
    Michael

thanks, michael - you certainly clarified what i was trying to say in my befuddled i've-been-up-too-many-hours state.

btw, i've seen str8 cute hairless slender boys who are twinks, but the word twinks is never used by straight women, so imo twinks never needs the word gay attached to it.

I'd say that a URL with "Gay" in it would be fine. As would guy.

but when you get to the just plain weird URLs that make no sense or are kinda insulting..it's best to check with us..

the two that come to mind are "Gag-a-gays.com" and "Find-a-flamer.com"

One was.. I think Asian kids gagging on cocks and the other was a dating site.

:wacko: :jasun:
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasun
    the two that come to mind are "Gag-a-gays.com" and "Find-a-flamer.com"

:wacko: :jasun:

I must admit I'm amused by "Find-a-Flamer.com." If I were into flaming guys, I might even join. Hey, how about "Pick-a-Poofter.com"

yeah, but would you join a site that makes you laugh at it?

Quote Originally Posted by boyfunk
    I must admit I'm amused by "Find-a-Flamer.com." If I were into flaming guys, I might even join. Hey, how about "Pick-a-Poofter.com"

Xstr8guy
    I always wanted to get tweakingtwinks.com but i thought that would be redundant like gaytwinks.com.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by stickyd
    Hi,
    I've noticed a lot of gay sites do not use the word 'gay' in their URL, and wonder if there is any thought to the pros and cons of this. We are launching a gay party site and have included the word, but wonder if it would be better to not?
    I dont think it matters that much on a paysite as long as the guys are hot, people will buy.
    I would buy a membership to "GaySexOrgy.com" if I liked the guys and I would also buy a membership to "StickydPrivateSexOrgy.com" if I liked the guys.
    For me its all about seeing that ONE guy on the tour that I just HAVE to see more of so ill buy a membership, and I dont care about the name of the site hes on.

However, I think you'll have a more memorable name with more character if you take the word gay out.
    Ive never been to a gay bar or gay restaurant or gay hotel that had the word "gay" in it.

The popular gay owned sites and companies I know of don't have gay in the names. Like Badpuppy, Boys First Time, Tylers Room, Sean cody, Bedfellow, Cybersocket, Titan media, Hot Desert Knights, Randy Blue.

Avoid putting "Gays" in the url. I agree with Dzinerbear 200% on the reasons why.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy
    I always wanted to get tweakingtwinks.com but i thought that would be redundant like gaytwinks.com.

Sad but frequently true, particularly the nearer you are to major cities.

stickyd
    Wow, a lot of interesting takes on the issue, thanks, all. The actual name we are considering is 'gaysgocrazy' or 'guysgocrazy.' They're pretty large parties, some with over 100 guys, half focused on the partying, stripping, dancing and joking around, half around the sex. The parties are a blast, everyone really lets loose (the last party, the guys ordered over 1,500 drinks). I would love to know what you all think of this, here are some pics from one of the events:

ggc001
    ggc002
    ggc003
    ggc004
    ggc005

Thanks huge for any help with direction!
    Cheers,
    StickyD

some pretty great pics there

i like guysgocrazy.com better myself...

Dzinerbear
    I would go with guysgocrazy.com as well. GaysGoCrazy is exactly the kind of use that I was warning against. It sounds derogatory. You'll offend a good portion of your gay audience.

I think GuysGoCrazy is good because everyone already knows what to expect based on the Girls Gone Wild series. Surfers will be expecting to see guys flashing their cocks and bums etc. They're not necessarily going to be expecting to see an orgy, but that's okay. Either way, I don't think you need to qualify that they're gay because straight guys aren't going to be interested in seeing other guys flashing their dicks at the camera or having sex with one another. So I think the URL already implies this is for a gay audience.

Good luck, it looks like a winner.
    Michael

How long have you been gay?
    I don't post here often, I'm a bit of a lurker. I did want to input on this. I have little doubt guys will work better. Not only will you attract gay men this way but you have a better chance of attracting straight women. Using guys vs gays could indicate that the guys aren't necessarily gay (for those that are into straight guys doing gay stuff) and you can grab a much larger audience that way.

HungBrandon
    Quote Originally Posted by stickyd
    The actual name we are considering is 'gaysgocrazy' or 'guysgocrazy.' They're pretty large parties, some with over 100 guys, half focused on the partying, stripping, dancing and joking around, half around the sex. The parties are a blast, everyone really lets loose (the last party, the guys ordered over 1,500 drinks). I would love to know what you all think of this, here are some pics from one of the events:

ggc001
    ggc002
    ggc003
    ggc004
    ggc005

Thanks huge for any help with direction!
    Cheers,
    StickyD
    nice pics.. love the blond twink in center of pic 2.. have any of him fully hard or any reports of his size?