Thread: would athletes welcome gay teammates?

would athletes welcome gay teammates?

"Based on a survey of 450 MLB players, 248 NBA players, 357 NFL players and 346 NHL players

Would you welcome an openly gay teammate?

MLB
    Yes .....61.5%
    No .....34.8%
    Don't Know ....3.7%

NBA
    Yes .....59.6%
    No .....38.6%
    Don't Know ....1.8%

NFL
    Yes .....56.9%
    No .....39.6%
    Don't Know ....3.5%

NHL
    Yes .....79.9%
    No .....18%
    Don't Know ....2.1%

FAST FACTSolls conducted within the last 10 months.... Brokeback Mountain, about gay cowboys, is up for Best Picture at Sunday's Academy Awards.... Former NFL defensive tackle Esera Tuaolo, who came out three years after retiring in 1999, released a memoir, Alone in the Trenches, last month.... Fewer than half of NFL rookies (41%) and of NBA rookies (48%) responded "yes." ... Among baseball players, 67.8% of those who said they would rather play for the Red Sox than for the Yankees also said they would welcome a gay teammate. Of those who picked the Yankees, only 54.2% said "yes." "

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../28/poll.0228/

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    it's funny how i don't have a problem with "straight-guys" when i shower at the 24h*ur fitness but i get very self-concious when i have to take my clothes off in a gay "bathouse/sexclub" (i'm just there to use the phone!)
    i'm probably the only one that feels this way , disregard

sincerely ~ ..."do you really wanna'touch , do you really wanna'f*ck with me tonight?" - monifah

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Interesting figures for sure, nice find Patti

Regards,

Lee

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Very nice and ya know what piqued my interest is that the majority of NHL players didn't have a problem, well the highest number where in the NHL and its interesting as the majority of players come from Canada and Europe while the other sports the majority of players are from the USA... wonder if that has any bearing on the results? :coffee:
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

Amazing Times

I still think it's an awesome time to be gay, for sure. Even when I first came out, gay marriage, gays in the military, gay athletes, gay mainstream movies, were all taboo in popular conversation. They didn't even carry Beautiful Life in Blockbuster back then; you could only get it in the independent stores. I am happy with those numbers. It is a progressive time that we live in. I, for one, didn't think that Brokeback Mountain should have won best picture. I thought that crash was a better movie (I've watched it maybe a dozen times, whereas Brokeback only once.
    Even the gay youth now are privileged compared to many of those in the GLT community. There are more youth groups and GLT's than ever. I don't think that we should stop fighting, but I think more people should appreciate the way things are compared to where they were.
    I play for a gay football team, was out for two of the years I was in the Navy, and have not never been bashed, trashed or harassed, nor when I was out all 4 years of high school.
    And here we are not even 30 years after Stonewall. Who'da thought...