Thread: 2257 Changes working through Congress

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar

2257 Changes working through Congress

Yesterday a bill passed through the House of Representatives that will make changes to 2257 and then ADD a section that would require 2257 data be maintained for "simulated sexual conduct". [2257 A ]

Many of the arguments in the FSC case hinge on the theory that the Attorney General cannot define "secondary producers" because that goes farther than the law [which Congress makes] allows. If Congress includes "secondary producers" under 2257 then the best argument against it would be that the law is overbroad or unconstitutional in some way, a more difficult argument to win.

The language in the bill is confusing, and I still have not come up with a good interpretation as to what its effects would be. The most important section is Section 602.

Read it and lets talk.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/.../~c109Wr8cRI::
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Better make sure you all have your wallets at the ready for FSC donations in 5-10 days time

Regards,

Lee

Gay Marriage - It's our Pearl Harbor. Titanmen's Avatar
    There is no way in hell the MPAA will allow it to get through the Senate as written. They have a strong lobby and I'm sure will get it at least modified if not killed completely. Could you imagiane the can of worms it woudl open up if every simulated sexual act required 2257 documentation?? As well there are certain tax credits for film producers that specifically exempt any film production that require 2257 record keeping. The MPAA is not going to give up those tax breaks! I do think a waterdown version will probably get through the Senate.

Everyone needs to remember, just because the FSC wins on the current 2257 regulations doesn't mean it's over. The Congress can simply write and pass a new law that fills all the holes left by the last bill. It ain't over till it's over.

And it ain't ever going to be over.

The fundie christians will not give up on their crusade to make the rest of the world like them, to try force their will and their way on the rest of us.

I think our best chance is to vote for the strongest opponent of every republican [usually democrats. I prefer libertarian myself, but they have a hard time getting elected...].
    There are a lot of Bush messes to clean up once the Republicans lose control of the House and/or Senate and/or the Presidency. One more Supreme Court vacancy in the next 2 years and we will have a right wing court for 30 years.....
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com

it sounds like another boom in the offshore hosting business is just around the corner

cheers,
    Luke

It does seem the Bush administration wants to send ALL jobs offshore....

SO I think you might be on to something Luke!!!
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com

Xstr8guy
    Chad, know any good emigration attorneys? I fear hosting offshore is not enough. Pretty soon all free-thinking people will be purged out of this country... or be forced to move to California.

desslock
    Quote Originally Posted by chadknowslaw
    And it ain't ever going to be over.
    I think our best chance is to vote for the strongest opponent of every republican [usually democrats. I prefer libertarian myself, but they have a hard time getting elected...].
    Well you can say that because you feel that way, but according to THOMAS H.R.4472 passed WITHOUT ANY OBJECTION in the House. That means any ol' Democrat like Nancy Pelosi and Jerry Nadler and John Conyers all voted for it. In fact if you look at the Congressional Record notes, you see Nadler (a Democrat who represents the Greenwich Village neighborhood on New York City) adding amendments successfully to the bill.

Same with the aging old civil rights stalwert John Conyers. And you know why this bill is whooshing through? Because it is an election year.

In fact, what makes you think that Hillary Clinton would oppose this bill? And she is up for relection this year to the Senate, so watch closely. I do not expect to be wrong in my prediction.

I'm soirry - I just had to observe that. Otherwise, this bill, like all similar stupid Christmas Tree bills like this, will not pass judicial scrutiny. The beauty and elegance of the Seperation of Powers in the Constitution will work again.

Steve

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    If anyone's read the old book from the 60s or 70s, "Ecotopia" .... basically, California secedes from the US and becomes its own country. Sounds like it might be the right time to consider this...

Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy
    Chad, know any good emigration attorneys? I fear hosting offshore is not enough. Pretty soon all free-thinking people will be purged out of this country... or be forced to move to California.
    Oi, matie, come down to Panama and join the party

cheers,
    Luke