Thread: Kitchens are fucking expensive

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar

Kitchens are fucking expensive

We spent 4 hours looking at kitchens. Turns out most out there are wood face and inside it's particle board covered with laminate.

That would costs us $2900 for no frills, no-hardware, no sink, no faucet, no countertop. The install is another $2900.

If we want the kitchen kabinets to be ok it will cost us around $9000 and that's not including the stove and sink and countertop.

That's for a Homo depot kitchen, who knows the others how much they charge.

I think we should just demolish it and stick a microwave in the corner and be done with it. :cry:

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    You are right about that!

The kitchen is the next big project we're tackling after sorting out all the flood damage.

We worked out that to have our kitchen ripped out, buy the units, get the plumbing and installation of the new units / ranges done will cost us in the region of $25k

Just today we purchased new bedroom furniture from American Signature, that set us back around $3k without a mattress.

The flooring that we're going to have put down in a couple of weeks time is going to cost almost $10k

In a couple of days time we start ripping out one of the small bathrooms.. Thats going to cost us in the region of $5k

Maintaining a home is really expensive these days

Regards,

Lee

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    we're ripping bathrooms too. Plus new floors.

And the Mister went from "oh we should get something cheap" to "omg I want marble in every room".

And then if we were to get hurricane windows ... the bank account will feel violated.

Hopefully the housing market will hold steady :biker:

We need Queer Eye for the Gay guy. I'm lost on the whole design thing

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    the kitchen is probably the most expensive room in the house ( which is why it pays to remodel the kitchen/bathroom before selling a home! ) and unless you are "h*me depot" inclined , it's going to cost.
    depending how long you plan on living in this residence ( 7.4 years average ) determines the type of "material" ( if it's a rental go cheap! , there going to tear it up anyways! ) to use , there is a difference between "formica" & "forever"

sincerely ~ ..."seabee! , we build! , we fight! , we party all night!"... :goof:

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    I am just having new countertops and sink put in my kitchen--that alone is over $3000
    The hardwood floors in just 2 rooms were $8000 {note to Lee--hardwood floors ROCK}
    Tile in 2 bathrooms was just $1000
    And now for the landscaping--almost a quarter fucking acre --just some trees, some grass, and irrigation system will be silly amounts of money.
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

AusCoding Allan
    Or you could just demolish and start from scratch

A whole home 22 squares with nice finishes will set u back approximately AUD$190K (approx US140K).

Who can be bothered renovating at this price.

Cheers,

Allan

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusCoding Allan
    Or you could just demolish and start from scratch

A whole home 22 squares with nice finishes will set u back approximately AUD$190K (approx US140K).

Who can be bothered renovating at this price.

Cheers,

Allan
    My house is only 2 years old, we are upgrading, not renovating!

Will that home in Australia be set in a very quiet new community, on a mountain, next to the largest city park in the world, with a beautiful view of a city of 3.5 million people, and only 15 minutes from one of the busiest airports?
    And will this home increase in value 10% to 25% every year like the homes in Phoenix?
    [last year my neighborhood experienced a 45% increase in sales price per square foot]

I would love to have lower costs, but I am not willing to give up the combination of warm weather, big city, increasing property values and location in the desert southwest.
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

Am i gay? Am i straight? And then i realized ... I'm just slutty. Northstar's Avatar
    Install them yourself.:extat: My husband and I remodeled our bathroom and bedroom last year and saved $4000 in labor costs. It took us about 30 days to complete both. That was with me working at it 4 hours a day and my partner helping 2 hours after work.

AusCoding Allan
    Quote Originally Posted by chadknowslaw
    My house is only 2 years old, we are upgrading, not renovating!

Will that home in Australia be set in a very quiet new community, on a mountain, next to the largest city park in the world, with a beautiful view of a city of 3.5 million people, and only 15 minutes from one of the busiest airports?
    And will this home increase in value 10% to 25% every year like the homes in Phoenix?
    [last year my neighborhood experienced a 45% increase in sales price per square foot]

I would love to have lower costs, but I am not willing to give up the combination of warm weather, big city, increasing property values and location in the desert southwest.
    Hey Chad...

That's just for the house building (not the location). Wouldn't dream of building anywhere but a quiet new community (with lots of local parks and close to transport). 35min to the airport and yes values do tend to increase at about 10-15% per annum here to (due to the shortage of land).

I was just trying to make the point that often if remodeling on a large scale it can be cheaper to knock down and rebuild.

Cheers,

Allan

_ap_
    yeah but there is sumthin nice about big ol houses.. "they just dont make em like they used to"

...since my first hard-on. A_DeAngelo's Avatar
    Yeah, its expensive and a major hassle...that's why we eat out all the time!

We were tempted recently to buy a real cool looking all-in-one kitchen on wheels that could be kinda moved around unit in a loft type studio situation... price tag? more than a well used Bentley with flat tires!

www.HotDesertKnights.com hdkbill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jIgG
    We spent 4 hours looking at kitchens. Turns out most out there are wood face and inside it's particle board covered with laminate.

That would costs us $2900 for no frills, no-hardware, no sink, no faucet, no countertop. The install is another $2900.

If we want the kitchen kabinets to be ok it will cost us around $9000 and that's not including the stove and sink and countertop.

That's for a Homo depot kitchen, who knows the others how much they charge.

I think we should just demolish it and stick a microwave in the corner and be done with it. :cry:
    You have my sympathies. We just spent $30,000 gutting and having an all new kitchen put in from the floor up. It's nice, but damn! That was a lot of bucks just to look pretty and warm up Hungry Man meals!!

Bill