Thread: Attending Expos advise

dexxxter

Attending Expos advise

hey all,

I want to thank everyone for the advise I received on printing companies. It was a huge help. I went with Richard at Breene Graphics. I also received a lot of advise on host companies.

Now I would like to enlist help on expos. I will be attending (as a merchant) my first expo in LA this June. I don't want to look too much like the amateur company that I am. Looking for help on what to do to make my booth noticed, what to bring with me, signage, etc.

I'm also participating in SanDiego Pride in July and GayExpo in LA in September.
    Thanks in advance.

Dex

TheWhack
    You gotta bring something different... stand out from the other merchants. have contents, give-aways, something to attract people to your booth. It's not about having cool signage or nice booths.

Hopefully have a good location and simply have something better to offer. Take a notepad or laptop, take notes of people you talk to, what you talked about, names etc. That way you can follow up after the show.

I will tell you about 90% of all the biz cards and flyers I have from conventions are still in my bag and I have looked at them maybe a couple times, I called or signed up to the companies that stood out from the rest.

Thats my 2 cents...

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    You can get a pretty professional looking appearance for a relatively low cost by designing a snazzy banner in Illustrator (Photoshop will have gigantic files) and having Kinkos output it for you. An 8x4 full color banner will cost between $200-300. Hang it in the back of your booth and you'll draw a lot more attentiion than using the white-with-black-ugly-block-letters sign that's provided for free.

Also, check in advance what, if anything, is provided with your booth. $75 to rent a crappy $10 plastic chair, or $150 for a crappy wooden banquet table with some stapled-on plastic skirting for 3 days is not uncommon from the bandits that provide booth furnishings; we usually go to Walmart and buy some chairs and just leave them at the end of the show, it's much cheaper.

Bell
    use male dolls - ken / gi joe etc... naked ones - and
    shape them into the letters that spell out your company name
    adn affix them to a piece of peg board you have sprayed
    the official blue with black border...

that'll get people talking about your booth and sending others
    over to see the sign...

and maybe you can have some spare dolls for visitors to your
    booth to POSE - with you - for promos in your "after the event"
    comments on the boars etc...

have some dolls wrapped around dildoes as display items...

LOL

or - create your own man-dolls with clay etc...
    (then you can give them - "bodyparts")

~Bell

p.s. after the event - I hope you come back and show us pics of
    your booth and tell us about whatever it is - that you end up doing...

p.s.s. contests at your booth are GOOD - and the prize to be sent
    after the event... giveaways at the booth are good - like mousepads,
    cupcoolers, logo'd hats, etc... have people wear your button and tell them
    someone will be randomly walking the event and handing out $5 bills to
    random people that are wearing their buttons... (and follow through with
    whatever event, promo or promise you make) - get photo OPs when you
    hand out those $5. bills

Madame0120

Heres A Thought

For 5+ years I was an event vendor, and this is a list of things that were sorely missed, over the years. Vending at all day events is almost like camping. Best be sure you have it ALL - no one ever wants to run to the store, once you are set-up and the event is closed to traffic.

Office supplies/Swag
    Tool Box w/extention cords
    Staff Beverages/Water
    Change of Clothing
    First Aid Kit
    Wet wipes, the porta johns get nasty after 10AM
    Starting bank that is heavy on singles and fives, double what you think you need, if your event falls on a gov't pay week.

As a seasoned vendor, I could work my space with only 2. However, if I was working your LA event, 4 would be my minimum. Each staff member were given their own starting bank, with monies collected down to the bank -several times a day. Be aware that passing bad bills is common at a large events.

What swag you choose really depends on your budget. My crap is all laser etched and range from 25 to 70 cents each. I'd be happy to share my supplier information, he's good to work with, and hasn't been too shocked by my designs. Now I think he's more amused. but has declined my offer for a link back.

Oh, and be sure you really read the vendor's contract. It's very simple to miss a detail that can sometimes cause your merchendise to get pulled. I will not bore you with The Tale of the 4 gross of Silly String.

Most of all .. have FUN! It was a sad day in Arcaia, OK when the 106 degree temp and 16 hour days, forced me to close that fun chapter of my life.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    The other thing you need to do is have a plan.

Not only for setup and breakdown but, also of what goals you want to achieve whilst you are there.

That way, when you get back, you'll be able to judge how well the expo went for you based on your list of things you wanted to acheive.

Regards,

Lee

dexxxter
    thanks all for the great ideas!!
    I found a local company that seems to have everything. They are working on banners, table runners, a flag, plastic bags, bottle openers, pens, travel cup and computer sweep brush with my logo, name, url, etc in different variations.

Still getting things together for it, always welcome to suggestions.

Bell
    Quote Originally Posted by dexxxter
    thanks all for the great ideas!!
    I found a local company that seems to have everything. They are working on banners, table runners, a flag, plastic bags, bottle openers, pens, travel cup and computer sweep brush with my logo, name, url, etc in different variations.

Still getting things together for it, always welcome to suggestions.

Sounds like a nice array...

When you get them - can you take pics and show them to us ??

and - when you get to the event - can you take pics of your "space"
    (after setup) and show it to us ??

wish you much success...

~Bell