Thread: we just got a cms, and here's what i've learned...

we just got a cms, and here's what i've learned...

when i figured out all our member area page layouts, we didn't have a cms so i did what worked for me. now i'm discovering i wish i had the cms first - we've had to get 2 mods so far to the script to make it do what our site needs as it is. had i had the script first, i might have designed things differently.

or i might not

one thing for sure - any cms has a learning curve.

I have to share my feelings CJ-KJCash's Avatar
    I can really identify with you on that one. I have pretty much completed conversion of our 3 sites over to a CMS but it is a bitch of a process to get completed. And that was more with me taking our site format and trying to force the cms around it.

We are getting some new sites ready to go and I am really excited to be launching them in the cms from the get go. It gives me a chance to make sure the site is designed around the cms features and that I can get the most of out it (and it is turning out to be less work that way)

Which one did you get Patti? I have had to have a couple of mods done and special patches written, but I have been really happy with sitedepth overall, and version 4 is getting ready to come out so that should help with some of the things that I have found especially lacking. I got in on the beta testing of the update and have got to give them significant feedback towards the new one.

So lots of those things that have really bugged me about it should be fixed.

i didn't need most of the features of most cms's, so i got aWIZ. i think i'm driving the folks there out of their minds, but so far they are very helpful and pretty fast, too.

maxpower
    Sorry to ask what is a “cms”? control material system? And what dose it do, could you please provide an example? :penny:

a cms is a content management system. after you input your content, it can automatically do your updates, thumb and watermark your pics, and change all pages on the fly if you decide to use a new header, footer or text.

in my case, i am only having it update my pics menu and video menu - got very tired of moving sets to the next page over every time we updated!

maxpower
    Thax when I redo my site in about a year or so I will look into something like that too its a good idea

I have to share my feelings CJ-KJCash's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower
    Sorry to ask what is a “cms”? control material system? And what dose it do, could you please provide an example? :penny:

It means content management system. It is used to store and manage the content and members area of a paysite.

maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by sukime69
    It means content management system. It is used to store and manage the content and members area of a paysite.
    Well at least I was close LOL dose sound like a really good idea if you have multiple sites especially

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    That was the reason we decided to go the custom route, we knew exactly what we needed as a minimum and because we own the code outright, we only need to re-install the cms without having to pay any additional costs for multiple sites / sponsor programs.

The huge benefit though is that if we need something adding to it, it can be done relatively quickly and cost effectively

Regards,

Lee

this cms seems to work within what we want, but we did have to use a workaround for one thing. it works, though, so we're happy.

She's a lesbian, that's what I'm here to talk about!

sitedepth

Does anyone know how to have sitedepth include a left or right border, similar to the footer/header includes.

I've fired off an email to support on sitedepth (just) but wondered if anyone online here may know

thanks

socks
    http://www.sockstarsonline.com - Socks, Feet & Sneakers Fetish website

Gay Marriage - It's our Pearl Harbor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    That was the reason we decided to go the custom route, we knew exactly what we needed as a minimum and because we own the code outright, we only need to re-install the cms without having to pay any additional costs for multiple sites / sponsor programs.

The huge benefit though is that if we need something adding to it, it can be done relatively quickly and cost effectively

Regards,

Lee
    I agree 100%, if you can go custom and get exactly what you want with no filler, you're better off.

sitedepth seems to be quite good, I have been testing it out and it does pretty much everything for you. And Omar is very helpful too.

cheers,
    Luke

so far we've had no problems getting them to customize everything we want...