Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Would You Say The 1st Thing A New Webmaster Should Buy Is?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

What Would You Say The 1st Thing A New Webmaster Should Buy Is?

Just curious to find out what you folks thought the first investment a new webmaster entering the industry should buy?

Traffic? Content? Hosting? Something else?

Regards,

Lee

I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of vaginas. They bother me in the way that spiders bother some people. Huskyhunks's Avatar
    Because I am cheap, I don't think I would buy anything. All that is available to a newbie free of charge from sponsors, etc.

But, if I had say $500 to buy something with as a newbie, I would buy a few cheap sets of content, a starter hosting account, and just test out the waters with different sponsors. At worst, I'd say he/she would probably lose only a couple of hundred dollars but most likely could break even without a problem.
    Artist/Painter and Webmaster of Huskyhunks.com.

EvilDaddy
    As many top quality domains as possible. After all thats the place you sell your product, and the more places you have the more "chance" of getting sales. Plus good domains always have a resale value if you decide the adult industry is not for you.

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    hardware, software, and content
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

Xstr8guy
    a clue :honest:

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Library card to the local library for researching the legal requirements for their region... or else a phone card for Chad.:coffee:
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

AusCoding Allan
    The first thing they should buy (well it's actually free) - a registration at GWW. The information available is great and it's covers almost anything you need to know.

The second thing - a meeting with a lawyer! Make sure you have everything you require in order.

Cheers,

Allan

curiousbunny
    a domain name and hosting from chilihost for his new adult site!
    Even if he/she doesn't hit the jack pot its always fun to have your own .com site to play with.

Paco
    A case of 'Wake-Ups' or caffeine pills, and a very comfortable chair.

Xstr8guy took my answer LOL

Seriously:

1. a domain name

2. paid adult hosting

3. design skills/software - or hire out or get some templates, even for hubsite layouts

desslock
    Learn everything you can about webmastering..... GWW is a good place for specific networking with gay adult webmasters. I would also dive into Sitepoint for general overall technical internet forums. Get used to reading.

Learn everything you can about Google. Consider purchasing Google Hacks if you want to really start from the beginning on that subject. In fact, study on on everything published by O'Reilly.... ( www.ora.com ) You can read a lot right there on their site for free without buying their books. That is really how I learned everything by myself from square one.

Oh - and my out of the box suggestion for this thread is to spring for a copy of Strunk & White's classic reference Elements of Style - for those on extreme budgets, you can probably find it at any used bookstore for seventy-five cents. The slim one hundred page paperback will help you quickly and easily fix your writing.

All websites will tax your skills as a writer. And even if it is not a priority of yours, you never know when your mother will happen to look at your work and see that you've made all those egregious writing mistakes!

The shame.....

Steve

Life is a dick and when itīs get hard---just fuck it... DEVELISH's Avatar
    If you start in Germany with no clue about anything I would either spend it on legal advice or a lawyer's bill sent to me along with a dissuation letter...

Other than that I would also spend the money on domain(s)

DEV.

desslock
    Good suggestion Bryce ---

Might I also suggest this hot off the press book by Glenn Reynolds,

An Army of Davids : How Markets and Technology Empower Ordinary People to Beat Big Media, Big Government, and Other Goliaths

Reynolds is the guy who started the Instapundit blog, before there was even the word blog. I don't think I've actually ever even read it. His book tells his story how he's used technology to empower himself.

I intend to buy this book after Phoenix. I read a review of it yesterday in the paper, and it sounds motivating and interesting.

Steve