Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why so Dead

maxpower

Why so Dead

I was just wondering why it has been so dead around here, is everyone just waiting to win all those prizes or what? I am starting to feel neglected with-out all as ass kicking I am used too :argue:

everyone's at the phoenix forum. when the convention is over, things will get back to normal - well, as normal as things ever get around here

maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    everyone's at the phoenix forum. when the convention is over, things will get back to normal - well, as normal as things ever get around here
    That’s cool I guess, maybe some day I will go to one of those things too, why did you not go? For me it sounds like just a luxury, and a big party more than anything else. I really have to much work to do to take off a week or something to do anything like that yet.

www.HotDesertKnights.com hdkbill's Avatar
    Basschick is correct. Most of the folks that post on here are at the Phoenix Forum...except for us grunts that have to work for a living.

Bill

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I think people go to these things with two different mindsets. Some go to get as drunk/high as possible and party their asses off. Others go to make as many new connections as possible, cultivate further relationships with existing connections, and increase their business opportunities.

If you go with the intent of doing business, you'll find Phoenix Forum the best show anywhere as far as actually making connections and creating new opportunities. However, it's amazing how thick the BS can be sometimes.

Here's a funny story... AJ just had some guy blowing about how large his company was, how successful his DVD sales were, they were the biggest twink video studio, etc... and we happen to know about the studio in question. It's pretty tiny, and the distributor he was claiming to use is one we do business with, and they don't carry his stuff... so AJ sorta had fun ripping him on all of his BS... because the guy thought that AJ was a model, and didn't know anything and figured he could bullshit him. It was pretty funny by the end, when AJ mentioned that he actually owns the company

maxpower
    Well personally if and when I go it will be mainly just to have a good time, I really don’t have anything to push on other people, or reasons to BS anyone. Although in the future I will need more affiliates, but I really don’t think a convention would be the best way to accomplish that. I am very interested in making contacts, mainly just because of the isolation I work under, but other than a desire for info I really dont think it would accomplish anything. :coffee:

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    According to my accountant, last year I spent more money going to shows than the price of a new car.
    BUT
    According to my accountant, last year the money I earned from the business I got at shows was enough to buy a new house.

Attending shows is not a luxury. It is the way this industry does business.
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

maxpower
    Well maybe for some of you, but I do not have any need to sell my services to anyone. So unless I am going to get a big break on my feeds or content, I would just go to have fun.

Dzinerbear
    This show is invaluable. It allows you to meet many people face to face and get to know them better. Boards, e-mail and AIM is great for maintaining relationships, but the Phoenix Forum is particular is top notch when it comes to making new contacts, meeting people you've only talked to on the phone or on AIM. Sure, you can party, too, but like basschick said, people can see through the BS, and no one's going to take you too seriously if you're drunk out of your mind. I look forward to the Gay Phoenix Forum in October.

Cheers,
    Michael

maxpower
    Why is it always in Phoenix? How about Key West, Ft Lauderdale or even Dallas? Sorry I am a southern boy and hopefully will be in FL by Oct 31st my B Day

Quote Originally Posted by chadknowslaw

Attending shows is not a luxury. It is the way this industry does business.
    Yes, but remember... Maxpower either doesn't actually *read* any of the helpful advice people offer, or is "far more knowledgeable" than everyone who has worked in the business since he was a young teen. So I wouldn't expect him to "get it."

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower
    Why is it always in Phoenix? How about Key West, Ft Lauderdale or even Dallas? Sorry I am a southern boy and hopefully will be in FL by Oct 31st my B Day

Um, if you were aware of which shows are the most well known, you'd know that Internext summer has been in Hollywood, FL, just a few miles from Ft Lauderdale, for a number of years.

Phoenix Forum is in Phoenix because it is sponsored by CCBill, who is also in Phoenix.

www.HotDesertKnights.com hdkbill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzinerbear
    This show is invaluable. It allows you to meet many people face to face and get to know them better. Boards, e-mail and AIM is great for maintaining relationships, but the Phoenix Forum is particular is top notch when it comes to making new contacts, meeting people you've only talked to on the phone or on AIM. Sure, you can party, too, but like basschick said, people can see through the BS, and no one's going to take you too seriously if you're drunk out of your mind. I look forward to the Gay Phoenix Forum in October.

Cheers,
    Michael
    I can't even begin to count the number of contacts we've made by going to the various shows.....and the Forum is the BEST. And, being able to meet folks that you've only talked to on the phone is invaluable.

Shame we can't be there this year, but at least Lee from our office is there and hopefully making good contacts and making friends.

Bill

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    There is also AEO in Berlin next month. JustBlowMe in Cabo San Lucas, Venus in Paris, Traffic Expo in Las Vegas, Eurowebtainment in Mallorca, Webmaster Access in Toronto, Live Sex Awards in Budapest, Cybernet in San Diego, Xbiz in Las Vegas, Internet in Ft Lauderdale, and the Quebec Expo.
    That is just a few, and just before the end of August.

Max, there are a lot of AA groups where the newcomers are not allowed to speak for the first 90 days. [AA= Alcoholics Anonymous] You really need to shut up and listen for awhile, because your absolute ignorance of everything that adult entertainment is about is embarrassing. You think you have no services to sell to anyone but you also say you want more affiliates. DUH! You have something to sell!! You want breaks on hosting or content? Then have a face to face talk with your host, or your host's competitors. and talk one on one with several content providers because you just might find that there are deals to be had. Need traffic, link exchanges? How about answers to questions? Then you need to attend some conferences! You would greatly benefit from a conference because your ignorance of how to run an adult internet business is blindingly obvious. There really are a lot of people that know what they are doing, they have been doing it for a long time, and are WILLING TO HELP YOU if you would take that chip off your shoulder, quit telling us how you know better than the entire collective knowledge of the rest of the adult industry, and JUST LIGHTEN UP AND ENJOY YOUR WORK.
    There is a lot of money in this industry if you learn to play well with others. I guarantee you not ONE of the 1000 largest web programs made it to that point on their own without reaching out and networking. We go to conferences. We meet those that we work with and we meet those that we compete with. we NETWORK [remember that word because it is important] and we build a rolodex full of talented and specialized people. The personal connection and face to face meeting is invaluable.
    There is a lot of free booze and a lot of partying going on, but there is more business done than partying. Wednesday afternoon I spoke on the Newbie Panel to a packed room. There were a lot of inexperienced webmasters JUST LIKE YOU and there were knowledgeable experts on that panel taking questions and giving answers. You are not the only newbie out there and there is nothing special about you. You just havent taken that first step and admitted you are a newbie and you really don't know how an adult internet business works. I don't care how long you say you have been doing it or how great your program is working, I and everyone else that is a member of this board knows that you don't know a damn thing about this business by the ignorance you spout in your posts.
    So quit your whining. Even after all the crap that has come out of you lately, there is a vast well of experience out there willing to help you if you just ask nicely.
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

curiousbunny
    Quote Originally Posted by boyfunk

Here's a funny story... AJ just had some guy blowing about how large his company was, how successful his DVD sales were, they were the biggest twink video studio, etc... and we happen to know about the studio in question. It's pretty tiny, and the distributor he was claiming to use is one we do business with, and they don't carry his stuff... so AJ sorta had fun ripping him on all of his BS... because the guy thought that AJ was a model, and didn't know anything and figured he could bullshit him. It was pretty funny by the end, when AJ mentioned that he actually owns the company
    omg that is sooooooo funny i can picture that in a Mastercard commerical ! "priceless"