Thread: The HD era?

Meant to be Obscene, not Heard. HotMaleVideos's Avatar

The HD era?

What happened to the HD era?

They push HDTVs on us (in the U.S.) in every Sunday ad. In 1-2 months Hollywood will join the fray with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs... so why are there still so darn FEW HD channels?

The networks and PBS switched. But the only cable channels that my cable co. carries in HD are HBO/Max, Showtime, Discover, TNT, ESPN, and sports channels I couldn't give 2 squirts about.

How unexciting. For all the pushing they do, there's not a whole lot to look forward to yet. Discover and HBO I can get into. But where is Sci-Fi? Where is Spike? Comedy Central? I was starting to get excited about the Series3 Tivo coming later this year, but then I realized how thin the HD lineup still is. Very few additions in the last 2 years, which is an eon in technology progress.

The HD revolution is not being televised.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I think it's one of those chicken and egg things.

We are planning to switch to shooting in HD (not HDV, which isn't really hi-def) later this year for our DVDs, but we don't have any burning need to do that because, at the moment, none of the replicating plants we work with are even manufacturing Blu-ray or HD-DVD yet... not to mention that the format war is still waging, and we don't want to be stuck with a warehouse full of discs in the losing format.

Consumers won't spend the $ on new TVs until there's enough programming. The programmers (Sci Fi channel, etc) won't start programming HD until there are enough consumers and enough content. The content producers won't start producing content until there are enough consumers to make use of it, and programmers start demanding it.

And, in adult, the other issue I've heard is that HD is so unforgiving that the slightest blemish or imperfection shows up beautifully, so that raises yet another issue in production

curiousbunny
    yea that's why am gonna wait for the big tv's to be 500.00 bucks hopefully by then we will get channels ::wink::