Thread: European Domain Name Landrush Registrations Now Open

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

European Domain Name Landrush Registrations Now Open

For those of you with a company presence in or, being a citizen of Europe, you can now officially start to register your .eu domain names.

Ive already picked up quite a few good ones myself :$$$:

Several places are reporting that they are expecting the resale value of .eu domains to match the values of .coms with particular emphasis on English, French and German worded domains.

This could be a REALLY good chance for some of you to make some serious business investing before all the good domains go... You've been warned

Regards,

Lee

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Does anyone know if a confirmation from the registrar actually means that you got the name?

All the registrars I'm dealing with seem to be indicating that they are "processing" the requests, and what shows available and what is actually registered may not be the same.

Enom (who I love) has some janky queue that's broken, so I can't register with them, Dotster says "we'll take 24 to 48 hours to get back to you", GoDaddy is broken (and they have the WORST interface, constantly trying to sell me crap I don't want), so I'm with some off-brand registrar called "Instra Corporation"

All of the ones i registered with EuroDNS have been succesfully registered.

Playing with other domain registrars at this early stage in the game is like playing the lottery.

Regards,

Lee

Xstr8guy
    Eurodns.com was working for a while. But it looks like it's fucked again.

Hmmm.

Thanks for the tip on eurodns... I put in a bunch of registrations there, but the confirmations I'm getting say only that it's a registration *request* and none of the names are actually confirmed by the registrar.

And, of course, EurID, the registry owner, has a busted whois at the moment.

So I guess we'll see...

Chip,

Yeah we reg'd around 100 or so at EuroDNS last night and it looks like we have successfully registered around 50% of them.

What is really weird though, before i went to sleep this morning, all of the domains were showing as active in my account but, when i woke up thats when i noticed we only nabbed about half of them.

Its all good though, the ones i needed to protect our business were in the 50% that did get successfully registered so im happy, anything above and beyond those domains were just 'gravy'

Good luck with your registrations, it looks like it takes around 12-14 hours right now to get final confirmation you own the domains.

Regards,

Lee

This is now showing in my EuroDNS account for several of the domains i registered early this morning..

Due to the exceptionnal amount of data we had to process due to the .EU Landrush, we will need the next few days to sort out all the new domain names properly. They should appear on your account next Tuesday at the latest. In selected cases, some of the domains you have pre-registered may not be available, either because they are in a specific “pending” status or were registered by someone else. We will inform you of the status in the next few days and, in the latter case, we will recredit your account of the sums corresponding to the taken domain name(s). You can lookup your domain names one by one on www.whois.eu
    There have also been well over 1 million .eu domains registered as of right now, looks like these suckers are going to be around for a while

Regards,

Lee

Xstr8guy
    Fucking Dotster.com!

I tried registering some .eu domains last night because they showed a bunch of excellent mainstream domains as available. So I bought several hundred dollars worth. It turns out none of them were actually available BUT THEY CHARGED ME ANYWAYS! Their website said they wouldn't charge my account unless they were successful.

I had to claim fraud on my credit card to dispute the charges. And I wouldn't have even known if the credit card company didn't call me to ask about the charges. BULLSHIT!

A lot of people have told me the same thing all day Jim.

The only way to ensure you are going to have a better chance at registering a domain is to go direct to EuroDNS.

If they show it as taken.. Thats what it means... If they show it as available, you have a 50% chance of getting it based on my experience over the last 18 hours.

Im at 50-50 so far with the domains i have wanted to buy and the ones that i actually ended up owning.

So far, we own the ones that matter though so its all good but yeah, that does suck

Regards,

Lee

Xstr8guy
    I tried eurodns.com but they didn't like my fudged contact info.

Jimsmowen
    Woah this could explain why I had trouble registering a new domain yesterday.... they must be working overtime!!

Gonna go see if I can pickup something nice

GaySearch4Sex
    if you arent a european citizen or company, is there a way to get around things legally in order to register .eu versions of .com domains you already own?

I dont want to break the rules, but I kind of dont think its fair that someone in the .eu can get my .com and be protected just because they are european or have the $$ to register a company in cyprus or something.

, maybe this is a good reason to move to europe... i love a lot of the countries there! :king:

I actually was about 90% successful with the names I registered through Dotster... and I actually registered some of the same names through Dotster, Eurodns, and some off-brand registrar I'd never heard of.... and in those cases, Dotster actually grabbed them in front of EuroDNS, so I'm guessing the process was actually pretty evenhanded between registrars.

EuroDNS was about 50% successful for names it claimed were available. I think in those situations, there's no way for the shared registry to keep up with the constant registration requests it is getting from all the registrars.

(I'm basing my success rates on what is actually showing up in the EurID WHOIS, not on what the registrar is reporting)

When all the dust settles, I'll move everything over to Enom. They really dropped the ball by not having realtime .eu registrations... they would have had a couple thousand bucks from us...

As for the ones I was charged for and didn't get... I'll try asking nicely first, and if they don't play, i'll just submit it as a fraudulent transaction (no services provided.)