Thread: When a billing processor says no way ...

When a billing processor says no way ...

When a billing processor says no way ...to the types of sites/content it'll process for, do you just accept that or do you start looking for alternatives?

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    I believe you should have several processors. If the content you have is legal, then you should be selling it to those willing to buy.
    REgardless of the content, multiple processors is a good business strategy.
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I've just recently dealt with CCBIll and Paycom, and I can tell you that not only are their criteria different, the criteria aren't even consistent within the same processors! We got a full approval on a site from both Paycom and Visa, then, a month later, a long, incredibly picky list of stupid shit that they hadn't complained about before, including a ridiculous request that we unlink BananaGuide because they were promoting an offsite link to something that the compliance person decided wasn't OK.

Since this happened while we were at Phoenix Forum, Trevor spoke with the people at Paycom and got it all resolved... but it just goes to show that consistency isn't exactly 100%.

Now, of course, for those turned down, there are definitely some offbrand options... if Segpay will take Mike18, they will obviously accept anything... and there are some other billers out there, mostly in Eastern Europe, who I think will take literally anything.

Quote Originally Posted by chadknowslaw
    I believe you should have several processors. If the content you have is legal, then you should be selling it to those willing to buy.
    REgardless of the content, multiple processors is a good business strategy.
    I absolutely agree with you on that Chad, but often smaller programs aren't to the point yet where they can swing something like Nats and pay for Visa and setup fees with several processing firms. But this deals more with "legal content" vs what the company says you can use in your sites, who you link to, words you can or can't use in a domain title, metas, etc.

I realize a company has the right to dictate its own rules ... but at what point does that come across as dictating the methods for obtaining and trading traffic and directing the overall content we produce as an industry?

the big problem is that there are not a lot of alternatives anymore. There are only a handfull of reliable ipsp's and getting a merchant account is out of the question unless you push at least $50K per month.

it would depend on why they turned the site down.

i believe ccbill no longer accepts even solo "vampire" content featuring provably fake blood. that one i'd take to hopefully epoch or else verotel.

Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    it would depend on why they turned the site down.

i believe ccbill no longer accepts even solo "vampire" content featuring provably fake blood. that one i'd take to hopefully epoch or else verotel.
    Think I was thrown off by the no golden showers ... personally, I find it a strange niche, but certainly not any more offensive than a lot of fetish sites that are out there now.