Thread: multiple video formats on paysites

multiple video formats on paysites

right now we only have one video format on manofmuscle.com but are considering adding a second format - possibly quicktime or flash.

i see a lot of paysites out there with only one video format, and some with multiples like mark's 2 straight guy sites on intensecash. what are your thoughts on this from a webmaster viewpoint - and a surfer viewpoint?

I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of vaginas. They bother me in the way that spiders bother some people. Huskyhunks's Avatar
    Sean Cody, regarded as one of the best video producers, only uses one format, Window Media Player. If surfers want to see the movies and they don't have wmp, they can take 5 minutes to go and dowload the software they need. I think it's much easier to ask them to do that rather than encode in two formats.
    Artist/Painter and Webmaster of Huskyhunks.com.

I have to share my feelings CJ-KJCash's Avatar
    We offer mpg, real media and wmv on our sites. It is a lot more work from the webmaster side, but our members seem to appreciate it.

I have had people tell me that I am nuts to be taking the extra time, especially with real media, but I remember all the complaints I got when AEBN dropped real media from their feeds.

I figure the extra work is more than worth it if it keeps our members happy and keeps them rebilling.

i don't think you're nuts. i reviewed a site recently that offered only quicktime, and it was the latest - and the quicktime player i had i couldn't play the movies. i had to upgrade my quicktime player - which was a living hell.

first off, quicktime now comes bundled inside itunes helper. i suspect some surfers may not get that. i had to install itunes and something else i neither want nor use. after i had deleted them, quicktime had taken over as default player for a number of video formats i really don't want to watch in a quicktime player. it took longer than it sounds and really pissed me off.

i know a lot of webmasters say it's easy to install a new player if you need it but i know if i was a surfer i wouldn't want to go through that. shoot, i'm a webmaster and i didn't want to go through it! i'd have been thrilled if the site i was reviewing had offered WMV, MPG or real at that point just so i wouldn't have to update quicktime.

Quote Originally Posted by sukime69
    We offer mpg, real media and wmv on our sites. It is a lot more work from the webmaster side, but our members seem to appreciate it.

I have had people tell me that I am nuts to be taking the extra time, especially with real media, but I remember all the complaints I got when AEBN dropped real media from their feeds.

I figure the extra work is more than worth it if it keeps our members happy and keeps them rebilling.

Xstr8guy
    Patti, I think Flash is a good alternative video format. Most everyone already has Flash installed, so it's not an extra peice of software junk to screw up users systems. Plus it looks pretty damned good although I think RM looks better.

...since my first hard-on. A_DeAngelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    i'd have been thrilled if the site i was reviewing had offered WMV, MPG or real at that point just so i wouldn't have to update quicktime.
    I must admit that offering all possibilities sits best with us...and we will make every effort to provide all formats when we launch...

Personally, as an Apple user, I don't like snooping around for the latest greatest when it comes to the "other" platform...this comes from someone who was part of the marketing and design team for Chiat/Day Advertising when we launched Mac Computer with the "lemmings ad" during the 1984 superbowl...anyone remember? ... (while Bill Gates was was running off with company know how) - forgive me - at any rate - with the new crossover platforms coming on market soon, it will be easier for all and, far reaching too...!
    and in the spirit of True American Enterprise...MORE MONEY FOR ALL!

dont be jealous becuase i'm beautiful, be jealous because i just fucked your boyfriend
    We offer mpeg, WMV and RM. Its extra work sure, but it comes back around with the rebills.

While we never used flash videos I know that badpuppy's doggonevideo was setup for flash videos. I was just told at the Phoenix forum that they are either moving to or adding windows media because of the customer service complaints associated with the flash.

this would be flash in addition to WMV, which we would not get rid of. the biggest reason i'm thinking quicktime is that the few mac users who can't watch wmv's and don't choose to figure out how would do find with quicktime. also i haven't been able to use sorenson to create as high quality as our highest quality WMVs.

Quote Originally Posted by djdez
    We offer mpeg, WMV and RM. Its extra work sure, but it comes back around with the rebills.

While we never used flash videos I know that badpuppy's doggonevideo was setup for flash videos. I was just told at the Phoenix forum that they are either moving to or adding windows media because of the customer service complaints associated with the flash.