Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Flash...

Xstr8guy

Goodbye Flash...

... at least as an embedded object?
    Microsoft's 'Eolas patch' to hobble IE this week.
    It sounds like embedded Flash Objects will not show unless a user activates it manually. If this is true, say goodbye to Flash banners and enbedded Flash objects used in web designs.

Btw, I hope I didn't post something that has already been thouroughly discussed on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy
    ... at least as an embedded object?
    Microsoft's 'Eolas patch' to hobble IE this week.
    It sounds like embedded Flash Objects will not show unless a user activates it manually. If this is true, say goodbye to Flash banners and enbedded Flash objects used in web designs.
    I just switched to Firefox myself-no issues there. Eolas will continue to allow Firefox to use their technology because it is an open source program, whereas IE is commercial.
    Hopefully there will be a market shift to Firefox, which is far superior btw.

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by 001010100110
    I just switched to Firefox myself-no issues there.
    I'm not really concerned about my surfing experience.

I'm concerned about what my surfers will see. I personally uses quite a few sponsor Flash banners and have one website with embedded Flash design elements on the tour.

I share your concern, but many users already have to click once because of ActiveX already, maybe it won't be such a stretch? (okay I'm probably being too optimistic) But don't you think that most viewers will go through those 2 clicks to see what lies behind that grey box? All that aside though, it sucks.

Xstr8guy
    I'm pretty sure that every single ActiveX element needs to be activated separately with a click. If nothing else, it's going to be an annoying surfer experience especially on a Flash heavy page.

maxpower
    I am just glad I do not have any flash stuff now like I was going to do. Yet again procrastination is paying off for me :karate:

Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy
    I'm pretty sure that every single ActiveX element needs to be activated separately with a click. If nothing else, it's going to be an annoying surfer experience especially on a Flash heavy page.
    Wow! Why couldn't Microsoft buy them out like they did with every other small, startup company out there? Bill's asleep on the job again...

Xstr8guy
    So has anyone had the balls to install this Windows update yet?

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    mine is set to autmatic update, noticed something yesterday but haven't a clue if it did its thing or not... I use firefox and opera mostly :coffee:
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

Xstr8guy
    Oh god Ian! Don't ever let Windows update itself! Always wait before installing any new updates or your computer will become trash before you know it.

So, have you tried surfing a Flash site with IE yet?

nah, rarely use IE to surf, merely to check design layouts. And i don't know, never had any headaches yet but there is always a first I suppose.

Xstr8guy
    Well, could you try surfing a Flash site with IE for me, PLEASE? Lol.

sure send me a url that you want me to check and i'll be happy to do it for you Jim.

Xstr8guy
    Oh any site will do... let's see... um, how about Hairy Boyz? It has a little Flash movie in the upper right corner. Does it play without clicking on it?

Things I watch for you ... :honest:

Okay well seems the update didn't get loaded, but I installed it anyhow first... so its all installed and no problem. Page loaded the same as it did in firefox, same video on top right showed and no didn't have to click it. Even tried one of the preview clips and it worked too... so nothing happened on my end...

hth
    :coffee: