Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Still Using Alexa To Judge Traffic Levels?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Anyone Still Using Alexa To Judge Traffic Levels?

Ive just been doing some traffic research for several of our adult and mainstream sites and really cant beleive how large the discrepencies in the Alexa reports are.

For example, we have one non-adult site that gets about 10 hits a day and, another that gets over 1000 hits a day, according to Alexa, the site that only gets 10 hits a day ranks much higher traffic wise than the larger trafficked site LOL

I realize Alexa only uses a snapshot of users with their toolbar installed but really, you'd figure they could at least get within a 10-20% margin of error :eek:

Is anyone else still using Alexa to judge traffic rank and, if so, have you noticed large discrepencies too in their reports compared to what your acual traffic levels are?

Regards,

Lee

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    I haven't used Alexa for ages. Even way back then when the internet was fun and the children didn't have computers it was never truly an accurate reflection on traffic to a site. No sense in getting the bp up over something that is so flawed. Still many do seem to swear by it, why I haven't a clue. :honest:
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

Yes, I use it to get an idea of traffic levels. Sure its not perfect, but its the only site that gives you an indication of traffic levels for almost any domain, and certainly all the more popular ones.

JustBryce
    I think Alexa is only valuable for getting an idea of where you stand (assuming you operate honestly) vs other sites which you trust are also operating honestly.

I saw on another webmaster board recently outlandish claims of their Alexa rating. I checked their Alexa rating and it was true that they were ranked where they said they were, but it didn't add up. They would need 1,000 gay webmasters online on their site 24 hours a day all day using the Alexa toolbar in order to substantiate their claim.

That begs the question of how they do it. I'm not sure... Could it be, perhaps, something like: http://www.fakerank.com? Or how much would it cost to have an army of folks in the Phillipines install the toolbar and click around on your site all day? Less than you might think.

Our alexa rating is real and I know what are pageviews are, so I have an idea of how big a site needs to be to be in the rankings in the above 15,000 level.

So Alexa is valuable to me when I want to compare myself against another site that I know wouldn't stoop to manipulating results. But, I think there are some around who know how to play us... or at least try

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by JustBryce
    I saw on another webmaster board recently outlandish claims of their Alexa rating. I checked their Alexa rating and it was true that they were ranked where they said they were, but it didn't add up. They would need 1,000 gay webmasters online on their site 24 hours a day all day using the Alexa toolbar in order to substantiate their claim.
    Oh, I'm dying to know who you are talking about!

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy
    Oh, I'm dying to know who you are talking about!
    Nevermind... I think I know who you are talking about. It's funny how they could have a higher rank than GWW with almost no postings or posters.

Id be interested in a link babe if you could PM one to me

That begs the question of how they do it. I'm not sure... Could it be, perhaps, something like: http://www.fakerank.com? Or how much would it cost to have an army of folks in the Phillipines install the toolbar and click around on your site all day? Less than you might think.
    You know, thats an interesting site for sure. I wonder if it would be worth while getting a group of us on GWW together to see just how easy it actually is to manipulate Alexa? Would anyone be interested in this if i setup a stand-alone domain to give it a try?

We could probably get a valuable insight in to how others in the industry manipulate Alexa to suit their needs and id be more than happy to register a domain for this if it means we learn something :thumbsup:

Regards,

Lee

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Not me hun, won't d/l the alexa toolbar... not sure if they've cleaned up their spyware either.
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

Ah, 80 Hour Work Weeks, The American Dream! tombarr's Avatar
    Yes, there are some who boast of their Alexa ranking as a sign of their importance/success....

personally i've put about as much trust in the accuracy of those rankings as those from some video rental top lists.

Interesting stuff..

I just did a little reseach and it seems that Alexa rank is open to a lot of exploits for site users to inflate their rankings which, to me, would mean that the details on their site are all but worthless.

On the plus side, if a site that shouldnt have a high rank, actually does, Alexa is a great way to show that they are less than trustworthy, especially if they are touting their 'ranking' as something positive to other people :eek:

Anyway, here's a nice thread i found on a mainstream webmaster board listing a few ways in which Alexa can be manipulated by less than honest site owners...

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=33967

That thread is really an eye opener :eek:

Regards,

Lee

robin
    Yeah, I sort of use it as a very general gauge taken with a huge grain of salt.

not me. i checked a few larger gay link sites and some that have about a zillion hard recip links out there and masses of traffic were listed lower than the smallest free sites.

i think alexa has some issues **

HAHAHAHA...

Dont worry about finding a link, i just saw it for myself LOL

Interesting numbers indeed, guess there are a lot of scammers in the adult industry after all.. The sad thing is, webmasters who dont know any better, will beleive their outlandish claims

Regards,

Lee

desslock
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy
    Nevermind... I think I know who you are talking about. It's funny how they could have a higher rank than GWW with almost no postings or posters.

I think JustBryce means the JRL Communications media empire....

Steve

Ah, 80 Hour Work Weeks, The American Dream! tombarr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by desslock
    I think JustBryce means the JRL Communications media empire....

Steve
    You mean that publication that puts out the cleverly worded, beautifully designed, statistically accurate, totally unassuming, and completely unbiased weekly newsletter that takes me 2 days to open in my mail client using a hi speed connection?

That one?