Thread: Did anyone ever set up this...

Life is a dick and when itīs get hard---just fuck it... DEVELISH's Avatar

Did anyone ever set up this...

Hi,

I was playing with a few thoughts lately and I am wondering if someone ever set up something like this

Place a computer in a remote location then connect to it using some remote connection manager or on linunx x-windows-client and work on the remote machine using your broadband connection.

The connection to the machine would need to be an encrypted (!) VPN connection only allowing access from a specific IP-Address using user/password for setting up the encrypted VPN connection. Logging onto the machine would need user/password authentication, too (if possible a PIN like on RSA's SecureID products)

:develish:

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    When I had an office in Iowa and an office in Arizona with servers in both places, I knew I could do this but I have no idea how it worked ;-)
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

Abstractt

Yeah Vnc Ssh

Hi DEVELISH,

I think this is possible through VNC server for setting op the remote interface and SSH for encrypting the data line.

For more in formation you can see this HOWTO
    http://www.cvs.rochester.edu/people/d_logan/VNC_SSH.htm

It's available for Windows, Linux, Soloris and a couple of more OS's

AusCoding Allan
    Our Windows Server operates like this when you enable terminal services and set up a VPN. We have Watchguard firewalls at both ends that establish the VPN tunnel.

Costs a little bit to set up but it's extremely secure and we never have any problems with it.

Cheers,

Allan

Yes you can do this easily...as a matter of fact I do it and so do a few of my clients. All you need is a Windows 2003 server and you can access it via remote desktop (rdp) which is installed by default on windows xp computers. Its super easy and yes you can enjoy surfing on a full 100mbps connection.

cheers,
    Luke

Oh, I don't care for surfing - I care for "data protection"...
    All I would need is a stable OS, stable encrypted VPN connection

then all you need is a windows 2003 server setup for you, you can access it securely via RDP (ms, already embedded into your PC) or VNC (http://realvnc.com/).

Ok - Thanks

I already played with mod_rewrite but could not get it running on my server... guess I need to play some more with it

:develish: