Thread: Forum Software

davespeedoevans

Forum Software

Hey guys - just playing around with a new site I'm working on and was wondering what are some of the different forum software that is out there.

Looking for something pretty simple and the site is a niche fetish so not competition to this board.

Thanks guys.

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    phpBB2
    invision
    vbulletin

Seem to be the most used, though there are others. Just can't think of them right off.:thumbsup:
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

davespeedoevans
    Gaystory man - thanks bud. Should give me enuf to look over this afternoon.

Thanks again.

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    no problem.:thumbsup:
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

Please do yourself a HUGE favour and no matter what you choice, make sure you sign up for their updates emails and keep your software updated. There have been some really serious issues in the past, like with phpbb older versions a clever hacker could take over the forum and even gain root access to the server. Keeping updated on these things is VERY IMPORTANT!!!

cheers,
    Luke

Am I Bitter?...Absolutely nicedreams's Avatar
    I like vbulletin. Its easy to setup and you can hack it and add tons of plugins easily.

Jimmy

Gay Amateur Paysites / Solo Twink Paysite
    Nice Dreams Cash
    http://www.nicedreamscash.com

skot
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilihost
    Please do yourself a HUGE favour and no matter what you choice, make sure you sign up for their updates emails and keep your software updated. There have been some really serious issues in the past, like with phpbb older versions a clever hacker could take over the forum and even gain root access to the server. Keeping updated on these things is VERY IMPORTANT!!!
    Ditto what Luke said, there was an amazing worm going around with phpBB2... lots of folks were attacked, including us :-( Now we're really trying to stay on top of any patches.

davespeedoevans
    Luke & Skot,

Thanks for the advice guys - I'm working through the install for phpbb right now. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks again for the replies guys.

Dave

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I've used both PHPbb and VBulletin. Both excellent programs, but VBulletin's support and the number of add-ons/hacks (nearly all of which are free) is just astounding.

There are sites of enormous size that run VBulletin without a snag (GFY and GWW are two examples), and between that and the custom features (and wide availability of skins), VBulletin gets my vote... of course, your mileage may vary