Thread: How to prevent unauthorized dvd burning?

How to prevent unauthorized dvd burning?

Hi guys and gals,

I'm sure you're all aware of other webmasters making illegal copies of your dvd's. Does anyone know of any method that might prevent unauthorized burning of dvd's?

I've heard there are programs that will make the burning process more difficult. Is there a way to (encode) using Adobe Premier or Pinnacle Studio dvd's with an option so it will not automatically be burnt that easily ?

I hope someone can offer some advice or assistance.

Diesel J.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    There are two practical options, but both are pretty easily defeated.

CSS, or Content Scrambling System, can be added by better DVD authoring software applications. We use DVD Workshop and it will do it, I know that some of the other higher-end ones do also. Pretty much all DVD replicators

Macrovision is a commercial anti-copying technology which has to be licensed for use from Macrovision itself... and you have to use a replicator that has a licensing agreement with Macrovision as well.

CSS presents some additional issues during mastering, and some replication houses charge extra to process DVD masters that have CSS encoding. I haven't dealt with Macrovision, but my understanding is that there are some complexities introduced by it as well.

To be honest, anything you can encode, there are already commercial and freeware applications out there that pretty easily defeat the copy protection, so anyone smart enough to copy a DVD probably also has the necessary software to defeat the copy protection.

We've opted not to mess with any of the copy protection tools out there 'cause we figure that it's pretty much a losing battle.

GaySearch4Sex
    its always good to protect your commercial content with CSS or macrovision, but remember this doesnt STOP duplicators, just keeps the total amount of copies made lower than if there were no protection.

...since my first hard-on. A_DeAngelo's Avatar
    Our replicators use state of the art encoding however, there seems to always be a "creack" for each new code that is developed.

This is an age old problem and costs the industry billions in dollars each year.

Perhaps with the persistance of the major "Hollywood" studios, something will help out in the future...

However, it is always much easier for people to copy and distribute than produce original material and pirates have been around for a very long time...

We have found some of our titles in stores around the globe...kind of disconserting but kind of flattering too!

Thanks for the reply guys. Much appreciated.

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    DVD CSS has already been cracked, it does not stop anyone who's remotely aware of how to rip DVDs.

Best way to do it, is DRM your videos, but even then it wouldn't totaly stop the bad apples.