Thread: windows or linux server ?

Today the USA, tommorrow the World collegeboyslive's Avatar

windows or linux server ?

I would do a poll if i knew how , but how many of you user windows as a webserver and how many use linux or unix ?
    Video feeds and content available to webmasters:
    http://demo.collegeboyslive.com http://affiliates.collegeboyslive.com

from my experience, I would extimate with adult hosting, the split is something like 80-90% use linux and 10-20% use windows, and windows server users often also have linux servers but need the windows ones for something specific such as streaming media or a special asp / ms sql / etc custom software package.

LiveTwinksCam.com LiveTwinksCam's Avatar
    We are linux for all of our website stuff and windows just for our streaming media.
    Thanks,
    Jacob

Add HOT Live Feeds to your site!
    www.LiveTwinksCam.com/webmasters.html

linux, for sure! we had a windows server once. horrible experience. did you know you can't use .htaccess with a windows server? there are other fun things like that, too.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Linux all the way, though we may have to add a Windows box for streaming content somewhere down the road...

skot
    Two big fat Linux servers... Windows servers are such a pain in the ass.

I'm a farmhand on your dad's rooster ranch. haganxy's Avatar
    i prefer linux, but basically it comes down to cost. linux costs next to nothing, while you have to dish out thousands of dollars for a windows operating system.

i'm too honest to use a pirated copy of windows, and too poor/cheap to actually buy a copy.

in the end. linux.

PS: there are ways to stream wmv files on linux and unix-like platforms...you just gotta look around
    hagan - IT nerd
    PrideBucks.com

Today the USA, tommorrow the World collegeboyslive's Avatar
    Ok the reason I ask is that I have been talking with Kevin, who makes authentix, a windows membership access system, it works very well, they also have a protection system for the windows media server and he was wondering what is a better price point, cause now its $1,600

I sugested around $ 700 what do peole think ?
    Video feeds and content available to webmasters:
    http://demo.collegeboyslive.com http://affiliates.collegeboyslive.com

I think it would be tough for him to compete with free .htaccess / .htpasswd protection that is available through linux or even the $100 sooper-dooper protection offered by strongbox.

Ah, 80 Hour Work Weeks, The American Dream! tombarr's Avatar
    We run both types of servers, 2 unix and 2 windows boxes for our sites.

Without a question, the windows boxes are the most troublesome, security risk prone, and temperamental.

I think adult webmasters usage of windows boxes for those that know anything about security will always, or at least mostly opt for the unix environment, which because of it's very nature, makes it a more stable platform, and one that has more control over security.

Anyone making a product for security access and control for windows server is on to a needed thing, but i think it's going to be a hard sell, competing with Unix, competing with .htaccess, compteting with strongboxxx, and just finding webmasters that are using windows for adult sites, period.

desslock
    My sites are all on Windows Server. The main reason - I don't know anything about Linux.

Steve

LiveTwinksCam.com LiveTwinksCam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by collegeboyslive
    Ok the reason I ask is that I have been talking with Kevin, who makes authentix, a windows membership access system, it works very well, they also have a protection system for the windows media server and he was wondering what is a better price point, cause now its $1,600

Hi Zac,

As you know we are going through this right now! Kevin @ Flicks has been a great help and has installed and configured his product for us a few days ago. Our windows guy is putting it all together now and we hope to have switched to Windows Media player, using our existing unix setup and .htaccess with his video qutoa/web quota by this time next week.

$700 is kind of still expensive, lower would be better, but $700 is better then $1600.

Zac I want to again thank you for your help and Kevin's help. You are a great guy and a friend, you are my hero! (boy does that line sound gay) Muahhhh!
    Thanks,
    Jacob

Add HOT Live Feeds to your site!
    www.LiveTwinksCam.com/webmasters.html

yeah, but if you have linux, you can use .htaccess which only entails filling out a few things on notepad and uploading it. that's a lot cheaper than $1600 OR $700

Quote Originally Posted by collegeboyslive